Author Topic: Northern Tier alternate NW of Ticonderoga NY  (Read 3169 times)

Offline Fred Hiltz

Northern Tier alternate NW of Ticonderoga NY
« on: June 07, 2006, 07:12:07 pm »
Is anyone out there familiar with routes between North Hudson and Paradox? I am looking at Johnson Pond Rd and Letsonville Rd to avoid a nasty bit of US 9 from North Hudson to Severance.

Paul from Ticonderoga, are you still reading here? Anyone else? I rode this in 1994 and remember a beautiful and remote road, some of it unpaved. What condition are these roads in now, please? We may be able to put the Northern Tier through there.

Thank you,

Fred

Offline Peaks

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 11:42:14 am »
I drove the Johnson Pond Road and Letsonville Road yesterday.  I don't think anything has changed in the past dozen years.  It's still about 50% dirt, and not a great dirt road either.  While the paved portion is good, it's still narrow, and has a good climb on it.  But the good news is that there is no traffic on it.  I didn't pass a single car when I drove it.  

As much as I would like to get off SR 9 between North Hudson and Severance, I don't think this is a better option.

Offline Fred Hiltz

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 08:06:53 am »
Thank you, Peaks. Since writing my OP, I did get over there for a day ride. Agreed, that road is strictly for the adventuresome. However, we did recommend River Rd to avoid at least some of SR 9, which might appear in the next revision of the map.

This is pretty country. Too bad about New York's highway maintenance there.

Fred

Offline Peaks

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 06:12:33 pm »
Where is River Road?  It's not on my map.  

Offline Fred Hiltz

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 05:49:21 pm »
I just put a little map of it at http://mysite.verizon.net/fhiltz/Maps/RiverRoad.gif . It is almost level, running beside the Schroon River. Part of it is good quality unpaved surface.

Fred

Offline Peaks

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 07:42:36 pm »
One thing that I liked after biking down SR 9 was to continue on into the village of Schroon Lake.  Grocery store there had a great salad bar!

Offline Fred Hiltz

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006, 08:02:34 am »
Good to know. Thanks. The store in Paradox makes good thick deli sandwiches, but is closed in winter.

Food always come up before long when cyclists gather, eh?

Fred