Author Topic: Adirondack Loop  (Read 4015 times)

Offline staehpj1

Adirondack Loop
« on: November 13, 2007, 08:52:59 am »
Has anyone done the Adirondack Loop or toured the area that it is in?  I know that it was just officially released, but someone must have test ridden it.

I would be interested in folks opinion of this tour since it could be one of my choices for the coming year.  Things I would like to hear about are:
  Riding conditions
  Scenery
  Best time to go
  Points of interest
  Other stuff that I probably forgot to ask :)

This message was edited by staehpj1 on 11-13-07 @ 4:53 AM

Offline JayH

Adirondack Loop
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 09:31:24 am »
Middle May to like July is black fly season...

Just after labor day would be nice, cooler temps, less summer folks, might be a bit early for fall folliage but not by much...    

Check out lake champlain bikeways for variations if you're interested in another loop east of the ADKs...

Jay

Offline Fred Hiltz

Adirondack Loop
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 11:31:02 am »
Re: the black flies; Amen!

I have ridden that area for years. New York State has done a good job on most of the roads with bike signage and nice wide shoulders. The terrain is hilly but not mountainous; see the profiles on the ACA map.

Summer is nice, but busier with tourists of course, and calling ahead for campsites or romms is important. The quiet time between Labor Day and fall foliage, that is, the last three weeks of September, is my favorite, like Jay's.

Not knowing what interests you, I'll mention just one POI, the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake. The ACA map and some searching with Google will get you more than you ever can visit.

Offline staehpj1

Adirondack Loop
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 07:49:37 pm »
Thanks guys.  I did some canoeing in the general area many years ago.  I had forgotten about the black flies, but now that my memory is jogged...  I seem to remember that they disappear suddenly in late July and then early August is OK.  It that accurate and pretty reliable?  Or is it more variable from year to year?

Offline jimbeard

Adirondack Loop
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 08:47:14 pm »
Here is a forum that may help.
http://www.adkforum.com/printthread.php?t=4175
The black fly season - sometimes called the fifth season in the Adirondacks - lasts for up to a month, including most of June. Few aspects of everyday life escape the insect's influence. Hikers stay at home. Gardeners stay indoors.

Jim
Jim

Offline JayH

Adirondack Loop
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 09:57:50 am »
Ditto on the ADK Museum at Blue Lake, you could spend a day there if you are interested in the history and the whole "Adirondack style"...  

There is also a new museum up in Tupper Lake that opened like last year, I hear it's nice but it's not as big as the one in Blue Mtn Lake and it's new.  

Jay