Author Topic: East coast...but wich one!?  (Read 2905 times)

Offline JiPé

East coast...but wich one!?
« on: December 27, 2007, 11:06:00 am »
I'm planning a trip in the US for 2010. Starting from Québec to Florida, I was wandering wich route to choose: ACA-Atlantic coast route or East coast greenway? I am also considering the Blue ridge parkway.
Thanks for your hints. :p

Offline rootchopper

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 06:24:53 pm »
You have lots of options.  How about this one:  Take La Route Verte to NYS state Bike Highway 9 south until it intersects with the Adventure Cycling East Coast route (ACAECR).  Follow the ACAECR to the DC area.  Then you can take either the C&O Canal towpath or the W&OD Trail to the Blue Ridge Mountains where you can hook up with Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. (Or follow the ACAECR to the TransAm outside Richmond.  Then follow the TransAm west to the Blue Ridge Parkway.)  

Offline bktourer1

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 01:15:44 pm »
If you come through Portsmouth NH, I have some cue sheets to get you into Boston along a quiet/ scenic route.  Contact me through my e-mail address

Ed

Offline Peaks

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 05:48:07 pm »
Your choice depends on what type of a ride you want.  

ACA routes, like the Atlantic Coast try to stay as rural as possible and avoid large urban areas.  

East Coast Greenway is designed to connect major metroploitain areas.  

I'm told that the Blue Ridge Parkway has lots of ups and downs at 5 to 10% grades.  That could be a challenge for a loaded bike (but certainly very scenic).

Offline KerryIrons

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 07:55:54 pm »
Be aware that the ECG is designed to use roads as little as possible.  Though many sections are on the road, the goal of the route is to proved paths and trails so people don't have to ride on the road.  In many cities, the route uses sidewalks to avoid the road.

Offline JayH

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 11:35:32 am »
..and I believe some parts of the ECG are designated rail trails, such as the ECG through NJ as it uses part of the Delaware and Raritan Canal which is a dirt railtrail. You could do it on a wide tired touring/road bike but might not exactly be the same as a paved multiuse path (or the road).

Jay

Offline jad012547

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 12:22:25 am »
Saw your posting, and would appreciate any information. I am just beginning to put together the itinerary for this summer.  Grandson (14), Nephew (18) and myself (61) are riding this summer from Bar Harbor, Maine to Richmond, Va.  planning on taking the loop into Boston, but you imply you have a better way?

Last summer two boys and I rode from Seattle, to San Diego.  

Jeff Day

Offline embebe

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 06:48:20 pm »
Jeff,

I am travel editor for Grandparents.com and I'd love to talk to you about your epic ride with your grandson and nephew down the West Coast.

Marcy Black
marcy@grandparents.com