Author Topic: Pacific crest bike trail  (Read 3384 times)

Offline gordo

Pacific crest bike trail
« on: January 10, 2008, 10:34:00 pm »
I am interested in hearing from folks who have either completed the Pacific Crest bike trail following Bil Pauls book and route or have done a large part of it. How were the roads, camping, scenery etc.
Thanks,
Gordo

Offline namur97

Pacific crest bike trail
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 08:49:09 am »
Have only ridden part of Pacific Trail, but can tell you from experience that one of the best rides in CA is from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz, using Los Gatos trail,Old Santa Cruz Highway and Mountain Charlie Road. I go out to CA and ride every year with friends. email me and I can give you more details.
namur97@yahoo.com

Offline dfege

Pacific crest bike trail
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 04:33:52 am »
I assume you are talking about the ride that parallels the Pacific Crest Trail, but on roads.  Not on trails.  I have done that rider from Leavenworth, Washington to Sequoia National Park. The ride is awesome!!  There is lots of climbing through the Cascade and the Sierras, but the scenery is gorgeous.  Hig hway 89 in California can get busy and it is narrow in places. Camping is plentiful.  The climb into Sequoia National Park was the toughest.  It starts at about 500 feet above sea level, and I think you climb to about 8000.  It took us over a day to do that climb.  Have a great trip!!

Offline gordo

Pacific crest bike trail
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 07:31:18 pm »
Thanks, am retiring in a couple of years, will be 67 then and plan to take 5 months to clear my head (am a ceo of a large mental health center)Start in Vancouver, go to San Diego, to Florida, where my wife picks me up. Hope that I can do it, it's all I think about when I'm sitting in some meeting when it's 30 below here in Minnesota,
Gordo

Offline mtbtourider

Pacific crest bike trail
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 01:16:38 pm »
I was wondering if anyone knew the title of this cycling book for the PCT.
Also wondering details. Is this a mixed surface route? Is it designed to be
a off road trail. I realize that in most areas the pct is closed to bikes.

Any info would be helpfull I've just started my online search through
peoples web write ups.

Offline MrBent

Pacific crest bike trail
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 02:10:18 pm »
Do be VERY careful with Hwy 89 from McCloud down to Quincy or thereabouts.  LOTS of nasty, ill-tempered logging truckers who act like they own the road.  Do what you can to avoid it.  A careful study of maps will reveal ways to do this--very circuitous but doable and pretty, too!

Good luck.  Wonderful country.

Scott

Offline gordo

Pacific crest bike trail
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 12:08:36 am »
The book is by Bil Paul and is titled the Pacific Crest Bike Trail. The route is supposed to be mostly on pavement, with a short part on gravel. If you ride it let me know how it goes.
Gordo

Offline kpfeif

Pacific crest bike trail
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 05:29:29 pm »
I'm planning on doing part of the PCBT this June, from the Trinity Lake area in CA up through Washington.  I just ordered Bil Paul's book, so I'll let you know how it goes.  Or maybe I'll see you on the road...

Offline Badger

Pacific crest bike trail
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 10:26:37 pm »
I just bought the book last night and though I can't do the entire thing I'm going to start in Washington and head south.

Offline mtbtourider

Pacific crest bike trail
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 05:40:16 pm »
I did a search on Amazon and didn't find this book? Any other thoughts on where to pick this up?