Author Topic: Best Oregon or Washinton route to Spokane...  (Read 3160 times)

Offline bbkesc

Best Oregon or Washinton route to Spokane...
« on: February 29, 2008, 08:58:26 pm »
We are a family living in Spokane, WA consisting of Mom and Dad, who are reasonably experienced tourists ( ex.flagstaf AZ.to Breckenrige CO with panniers and no sag)in their mid 40's and in reasonable shape, and two girls, ages 11 and 13 who have some but limited touring experience with fully loaded panniers and no sag... we plan to dip the wheels in the Pacific this summer and over a 3 week period cycle from the Pacific to Spokane... we will depart spokane and cross the country, unsupported on our own individual bikes with panniers and bob trailor, starting in June 2009... our dilemna is what route to take this summer to spokane... we looked at the Northern Tier, Section 1, Anacortes to Sandpoint, ID and are debating whether it is too much for an 11 and 13 yr. old... we'd like to hear from anyone who has cycled this route, or any other route across washington or oregon,particularly with kids on their own bikes, about your experiences with this route,or  other routes that don't look so daunting... Thanks!

Offline raybo

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 12:32:17 pm »
This page from www.biketouringtips.com has 7 links to information about bike touring in Washington.

None of them cover bike touring with children but the routing information might be of use.

Ray

Visit the on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com
Visit the on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com

Offline mjhedges

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 08:31:19 pm »
Your could follow Adventure Cycling's Lewis and Clark Route through the Gorge to Biggs, OR, then north to Yakima over Satus Pass , through the Yakima Canyon to Ellensburg, over Blewett Pass to Wenatchee, Quincy, Ephrata, Soap lake, Odessa, Davenport, Spokane. The worst is the potential traffic from the coast through the Portland area and the western half of the Gorge. I would go way out of my way to stay on as many bike trails as possible with kids in the greater Portland area. There are some climbs, but it's an alternative to the Northern Tier with some good sections and historical interest.  

Offline bbkesc

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 10:39:02 am »
thanks... we'll check this out...

Offline bbkesc

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 10:42:01 am »
thanks for the info... it's sounds like we just need to pick our poison... I'm hearing alot about how hot/dry/ it is on the southern routes to spokane... I guess that I want the experience to be a confidence builder for the kids without totally demoralizing them...

Offline johnsondasw

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 02:11:57 am »
I live in central WA and have biked all over the area for over 30 years. I think the easiest route would be to continue east from Biggs on WA # 14 then 730 and then on 12 to Walla Walla WA.  You will usually have good tailwinds all along this route, although it can be hot on summer afternoons. From Walla Walla, you can follow 12, 127, 26, and 395 to Spokane.  Some of these can be a little busy at times, but there are lots of secondary roads all around that you can use instead. I  have ridden many of them, and they are real gems, although rolling.  Good maps are helpful, but some of the best roads we have found about by asking locals in the towns.  One of my favorites cuts across the hills from the Prescott/Waitsburg road north to Starbuck. This strategy avoids going way north to Ellensburg and Wenatchee--and a a 2000 foot climb up Blewett Pass.  Carry extra water and food, because there are some stretches with few services. Once we got caught without enough food all the way from the Goldendale area east to Paterson on # 14.  that was 1981...I'm not sure how it is now.  Have fun.    

May the wind be at your back!
May the wind be at your back!

Offline bbkesc

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 04:27:21 pm »
Thanks again for some additional possibilities... we've got a Washington State Map that now has several colored lines of possible west side to spokane routes... You'all are right, each one has its pros and cons... we'll eventually just have to get on the bicycles and go!... the insights are valuable though...

Offline nx9c

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 01:48:51 pm »
Hello,

Have you considered riding tandems?  We rode across Oregon in March and had a wonderful time on tandems with our 10 and 11 year old kids.  We are going to ride across the country this summer (the Northern Route).  You can check out our blog if you like:

www.shut-up-and-pedal.blogspot.com

Whatever you choose to do, have a great time!

Dan

Offline bbkesc

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 03:53:42 pm »
We've had much discussion about the possibility riding the trip on tandems... we have a family tandem that we used when the kids were younger and that's been great for short trips but not really comfortable on longer distances... The positives: Easier to stay together, share the load so to speak, cover more distance quicker, theoretically meaning less seat time and more time for leisure activities on the trip... the big negative; we're literally bound to a kid all day, potentially having to listen to whining, complaining, and "this is boring"... it is an intriguing option...