Author Topic: LA to Phoenix  (Read 2641 times)

Offline aliciajoy

LA to Phoenix
« on: June 02, 2008, 08:57:00 pm »
I was wondering if any of you know how many miles it would be to take the Pacific Coast route to the Southern Tier to get from Los Angeles to Phoenix? I'm thinking about going in December, and, considering I've never done a trip like this before, I figure I should start planning now.

Thanks!

Offline CMajernik

LA to Phoenix
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 04:00:13 pm »
The mileage is about 530 miles, maybe a bit less depending on where
exactly you start in LA and end in Phoenix.

Carla Majernik
Routes and Mapping Program Director

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring people of all ages to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x218, 406/721-8754 fax
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline aliciajoy

LA to Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 06:44:22 pm »
Awesome! Thank you so much. Have you biked that route before?

Offline james2u

LA to Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 06:23:09 pm »
  You might consider turning inward @ Huntington Beach off the Pacific Coast Route. This is an alternate to the San Diego start for the ST. The route entails Santa Ana River Trail to Riverside, Riverside to Beaumont, Beaumont to Indio, Indio to Desert Center, then Desert Center to Blythe where you connect up with the Southern Tier Route to Phoenix. Several tourers have used this route and we plan on using this route as well in September for our ST trip.

Offline aliciajoy

LA to Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 09:58:13 pm »
Ooh, that sounds good. Do you know how many miles that would make the trip? What road(s) do you take after the trail?

Offline james2u

LA to Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 05:53:25 pm »
 You would save approx. 100 miles not having to go down to San Diego in order to start the ST.
 The roads from Riverside would be Allesandro/Gilliam Springs Rd./Hwy.60 to Beaumont and then frontage roads & Interstate 10 thru Palm Springs,Indio,Desert Center and finally Blythe.
  We are warmshowers.org hosts so if you need a place to shower & stay in Riverside look us up.
James

Offline raybo

LA to Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 09:15:47 am »
Cutting in at Huntington Beach might save you some miles but is also cuts out a fair amount of coastline and goes through desert, instead.  Not only that, the coastline has camping areas that have hiker-biker sites.  Be sure you are prepared to bike through the desert if you decide on this route.

For what it is worth, I found the ride got very monotonous once I got over the mountains behind San Diego.  I wouldn't hurry to get to the deserty part of the ride too quickly.

I rode this route and described it in an all-text journal, here.

Ray

Visit the on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com

This message was edited by raybo on 6-24-08 @ 8:16 AM
Visit the on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com