Author Topic: The Northern Route Waypoints  (Read 4634 times)

Offline ptaylor

The Northern Route Waypoints
« on: August 04, 2005, 04:24:36 pm »
I'm doing the Northern Route next year. I understand my Garmin GPS 76c  is limited to 1,000 waypoints, Has anyone reduced the Adventure Cycling's waypoints down to 1,000? If so, I may ask youto share your waypoints with me, if not, I will commense to do so myself.

Paul

Offline Fred Hiltz

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 08:54:46 am »
I have wondered about doing that too. My Northern Tier dataset, perhaps not current, contains 3380 waypoints, so any reduction to 1000 would have to throw out some that might be of interest to you.

5 rest areas
   73 restaurants
   75 museums
  142 convenience stores
  494 campgrounds
  603 motels
 1988 route waypoints

More than half the route waypoints are superfluous with an auto-routing GPSR, present only to keep straight-line routes close to the roads. Those can go.

Watch for divided highways when setting up for auto-routing. Waypoints there serve both directions of travel. Many will need to be moved to the proper side of the highway to prevent the GPSR from generating bizarre routes.

An alternative is to write four overlapping sets of waypoints to a CD, along with one of the small programs to upload them. Carry a short USB cable and the CD into a computer store or the home of a local cyclist.

I have used G7ToWin, which runs well from a CD. Be sure to set all its options the way you want them and let it write its INI file before your burn the CD.

Fred

Offline ptaylor

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 12:05:25 pm »
Thanks Fred.

I have gained quite a bit of experience with my GPS since my post in August. If I really want to follow the Adventure Cycling routes, a need to ADD route waypoints - not delete them. That realization has come as quite a dissapointment to me.

I think I will experiment with your suggestion of G7ToWin. That, plus keeping a close eye on the A/C printed maps will probably be the best solution.

I would like to hear from anyone who has alternatives to G7ToWin.

Gramps
Paul

Offline Fred Hiltz

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 08:11:33 am »
If I really want to follow the Adventure Cycling routes, a need to ADD route waypoints - not delete them.

That is interesting. I have a paternal interest in these sets of waypoints, having created many of them. How (or where) are they inadequate? We revise the database regularly and, as for the paper maps, depend heavily on feedback from the folks who use them.

If you would prefer to switch to email, please find my address in my profile. Thanks.

Fred

Offline ptaylor

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 07:16:32 pm »
Fred. I Haven't forgotten you - just been kinda busy. I don't think it is a problem with the A/C way-points -  I think it is a problem with City Select maps and the algorithms my Garmin 76C uses. I'll give you some specifics in the near future.

Gramps
Paul