Author Topic: Etrex Vista Altitude Display  (Read 4661 times)

Offline GoinCycling

Etrex Vista Altitude Display
« on: January 16, 2006, 08:19:50 pm »
If you own a vista, could you tell me:
  Is it possible to display "Total Ascent" on the altitude page (of the device itself)?

My confusion is that the manual (online) suggests many data variables are viewable, but some of those "are supported only by devices interfaced with the etrex."

Thanks,
Mike

Offline sglum

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 06:12:24 pm »
I used to have an eTrex Summit, which is like the Vista except for not having maps.  I did remember displaying "Total Ascent" as well as "Total Decent" on the altitude page, but right now I can't remember how to.

On my presently owned Legend, which has maps like the Vista, but no altitude, you can change the data variables by moving the cursor to the data field and press "enter".  A list of data fields is then displayed.  Chose which field you want and press "enter".

If that doesn't work, you can e-mail the Garmin technical support off of the Garmin webpage and they will answer your question (they have great customer service).

BTW, I also presently own a Garmin GPSMAP 60CS and I do have it set up to display "Total Ascent" and "Total Descent".

This message was edited by sglum on 1-19-06 @ 2:14 PM

Offline GoinCycling

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 11:01:51 pm »
sglum,

Thanks for the tips.  I will definitely contact Garmin support.

Incidentally, what did you think of the Summit?  I'm almost sold on buying one except it seems to be such an old model.  I have doubts about the battery life.

Mike

Offline sglum

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 04:57:25 pm »
I liked my Summit, as I do any of the GPS units in the Garmin eTrex line.  The only reason I don't have it anymore is that I lost it snowshoeing.

I like the size of the eTrex's, they don't take up much room on my handlebars, and the Garmin bicycle mount for them seems pretty solid.  I like the eTrex's so much that I ended up buying the basic Legend just for my bicycle after buying a fancy GPSMap 60CS for other purposes.

Now that I use a Garmin GPSMap 60CS, I'm spoiled with having maps.  It's great having maps right on my handlebars while I'm riding, in addition to a real paper map.  Also you can program in routes and it gives you turn by turn instructions.

Another thing about "old" verses "new" models besides the better battery life is that most of the "new" ones are in color, which makes reading the display much easier.  The monochrome works good enough though.  The battery life on a monochrome eTrex is about 2 days of riding.

Offline GoinCycling

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 12:40:12 am »
Thanks again for the tips.  Looks like the Vista Color is the way to go.  I probably won't use the maps for this trip but at least I'll have room to get spoiled.
Mike

Offline flatlander

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 05:55:40 pm »
I own the eTrex Vista C and the color is definitely an advantage.  I have used it on many trips and have, unfortunately, become nearly dependent.  It makes following routes simple and gives you the ability to try alternate routes without fear of getting lost.

Frank COhen