Author Topic: Unit shutdown due to excessive vibration?  (Read 3658 times)

Offline IWood

Unit shutdown due to excessive vibration?
« on: April 16, 2006, 12:28:03 pm »
I've got the Garmin 60C and the standard Garmin handlebar mount.  I'm using it with a trike, so instead of being mounted to the handlebar it's mounted to a bar end which, in turn, is mounted to a vertical mirror mount post.

Yesterday, riding over a packed chipseal road surface, the mount was vibrating quite a bit.  The unit kept shutting off, which I assumed at first was due to a low battery.  But I still had 2 bars left, and later on took it in the car with no shutdowns.

Then, I thought that perhaps the battery springs weren't holding the batteries in place. Bu there aren't spings, just clips, and the battery compartment seems pretty snug to me.

So-given that the unit has no moving parts...would it shut down if it's getting rattled around too much? Has anyone else experienced this?

Many thanks,

This message was edited by IWood on 4-16-06 @ 8:28 AM

Offline Fred Hiltz

Unit shutdown due to excessive vibration?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 08:04:24 am »
Hi Ian. This is indeed caused by intermittent battery contact. It's a frequent topic on the newsgroup at sci.geo.satellite-nav. Some rechargeable AA cells are a bit shorter than others and seem to have more trouble.

Early 60C production units exhibited the problem more than most. Later, Garmin added a bit of foam inside the "V" of the spring clip. If yours has no foam there, Garmin tech support can send you some. You could also cut a small piece of fairly stiff foam to add to Garmin's if necessary. Another home-brew solution is simply to stuff a bit of foam or tissue into the battery compartment along with the AA cells.

This message was edited by FredHiltz on 4-18-06 @ 4:08 AM