Author Topic: Unit shutdown due to excessive vibration?  (Read 3447 times)

Offline IWood

Unit shutdown due to excessive vibration?
« on: April 16, 2006, 12:28:03 pm »
I've got the Garmin 60C and the standard Garmin handlebar mount.  I'm using it with a trike, so instead of being mounted to the handlebar it's mounted to a bar end which, in turn, is mounted to a vertical mirror mount post.

Yesterday, riding over a packed chipseal road surface, the mount was vibrating quite a bit.  The unit kept shutting off, which I assumed at first was due to a low battery.  But I still had 2 bars left, and later on took it in the car with no shutdowns.

Then, I thought that perhaps the battery springs weren't holding the batteries in place. Bu there aren't spings, just clips, and the battery compartment seems pretty snug to me.

So-given that the unit has no moving parts...would it shut down if it's getting rattled around too much? Has anyone else experienced this?

Many thanks,

-Ian

This message was edited by IWood on 4-16-06 @ 8:28 AM

Offline Fred Hiltz

Unit shutdown due to excessive vibration?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 08:04:24 am »
Hi Ian. This is indeed caused by intermittent battery contact. It's a frequent topic on the newsgroup at sci.geo.satellite-nav. Some rechargeable AA cells are a bit shorter than others and seem to have more trouble.

Early 60C production units exhibited the problem more than most. Later, Garmin added a bit of foam inside the "V" of the spring clip. If yours has no foam there, Garmin tech support can send you some. You could also cut a small piece of fairly stiff foam to add to Garmin's if necessary. Another home-brew solution is simply to stuff a bit of foam or tissue into the battery compartment along with the AA cells.
--
Fred

This message was edited by FredHiltz on 4-18-06 @ 4:08 AM