Author Topic: Loading more routes along the Transam  (Read 7733 times)

Offline lance@vt.edu

Loading more routes along the Transam
« on: April 22, 2006, 02:05:12 pm »
I am riding the Transam this summer. I have a Garmin E-trex Legend. It will only hold 1 or 2 map sections of waypoint and route data. You have to use Garmin's MapSource program to upload more data to the GPS unit. So, if I want to use GPS for the ride, how do I load more data as I ride? Do I have to find a public library, install MapSource, upload the next set of routes and uninstall MapSource. Is there a better way or am I missing something here? Should I just forget about GPS for the Transam?
Thanks,
Lance

Offline Fred Hiltz

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 08:11:41 am »
Hi Lance. An expensive option is to carry a small laptop that runs Windows and MapSource, but that is much more expensive than buying a GPSR that would hold maps for the entire route.

You do not need MapSource to load waypoints and routes, though. Several small programs can handle that while running from a CD, no installation needed. I use G7ToWin, http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/, which is not graphical but works with lists of waypoints and routes.

You could prepare Legend-size loads of waypoints and routes in advance in G7ToWin format and burn them with the program on a CD to take to a friendly cyclist's computer, a computer shop, or even a library. You would carry only the CD and a USB or serial cable for the Legend. (Most libraries will not let you mount your own CD for obvious security reasons.)

The waypoints, routes, Legend base map, and ACA printed maps work well together. Not as nice as complete street maps in the GPSR, of course.

If you decide to put G7ToWin on a CD, be sure to set up its preferences to your taste before burning the program and its INI file.

Fred

Offline kathy

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 01:05:48 pm »
Hi Fred, Thanks for the info and the path into these other threads.  Now I think I get the waypoint picture.

And Now again, (she said, ever greedy for more info)let me ask:

Reading the Garmin site I found "MapSource no longer supports the RealTime Track Plotting function."

Sounds scary!  Does that mean that my GPSR will not be able to show me a map behind my return path?

An even more basic question - when I turn off my GPS to save batteries, will it continue to create my track?  i.e. do I have to know I am about to get lost and turn my GPS on in order to be able to retrace my steps once I am sure I am lost?

Any help on this will again be appreciated. kathy

Offline Fred Hiltz

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 08:30:46 am »
MapSource no longer supports the RealTime Track Plotting function.

That refers to plotting your tracks on a map in your PC, not in your GPSR. Garmin split this function off into a separate free program, Nroute. Using the MapSource program, you can load whatever Garmin maps that you purchase into the GPSR, which will show your track just fine.

when I turn off my GPS to save batteries, will it continue to create my track?

No. However, one of the great advantages of a mapping receiver over the simple ones comes when you go off route. Just locate where you want to go on the map, press Go To, and it marks a route on the map. (Maybe not the best route, but a route.) No need for a track to follow back.

The receiver gives you turn-by-turn directions along the route. If you don't like the route it chose, just set off on another likely road. In about a quarter mile, it will ask you if you want it to calculate a new route using this road.

Fred

Offline kathy

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 09:11:09 am »
Hi Fred, Thanks very much!  I'll be doing the Great Divide Route and one of the challenges there is you see lots of good looking roads that aren't on the topo maps (or the BLM maps or the ADV Cycl maps).  If I end up one of those, what will the rerout feature do?

In that case maybe I'll want the back track info too.  I'd have back track if I kept the GPSR on, right?

It will be interesting to see whether all adv cycl's GDR 'roads' are on Garmins topo maps.  Likely some are not.  Does anyone know?

kathy

Offline Fred Hiltz

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 08:03:07 am »
You are right that few of the GDR roads are on the City Select maps. Near the towns you can use those for routing. Some of the back roads are on the Garmin US Topo, which does not do routing but lets you see where you are in relation to the roads OK. I used US Topo when creating parts of the GDMBR waypoints data set.

One of the best resources for your ride is Scott Morris's GPS tracks of the entire US portion. Look at the thread "GPS Data of Great Divide Route" here starting August 19, 2004. With his tracks in your receiver you have a custom map at hand.

Fred

Offline gtofrada

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 07:27:34 pm »
Fred,

I have a Garmin 60CSx.  I plan to ride Great Parks North south to TransAm route from Missoula; will take that across to Richmond; pick-up Atlantic Coast route to Charleston SC.  I am finally down under the 1000 waypoint limit but find I am 10 over on the 50 route limit.  I have a 2Gb card but believe the size of that card makes little difference.  Your suggestion of putting all the information on a CD/DVD sounds doable.  I can then eliminate routes already covered to get under the limit -- assuming Mapsource is available.  

1.  How do I combine routes to get under the 50 route limit?
2.  I don't know what you mean by Legend-size loads.  Am I mixing apples and oranges -- Legend and GPSmaps60CSx?

Doug

Offline gtofrada

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 08:25:55 pm »
Fred,

I downloaded the G7towin program.  It downloads from the GPS, not upload from Mapsource.  Since I only need the last 10 routes because I am over the Garmin limit of 50, do I just download those last 10 routes that will not fit within the Garmin GPSmaps60CSx limit of 50 routes?

If this is the way to do it, could I rework the entire trip and use the waypoints the same way.  Instead of just having a file for the extra 10 routes that won't fit I create five or six files each governed by the number of waypoints limitation of 1000.  For instance if I have a total of 5000 waypoints I break the ride into 5 files with 1000 waypoints each and whatever number of routes that includes?  Only concern would be finding that friendly computer to make the transfer from CD/DVD to GPS at the time of need.  Guess that is a good reason to have the ACA maps along also.

Doug

Offline Fred Hiltz

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 10:53:15 am »
Hi Doug. I think Lance's Legend has a smaller memory than your 60CSx, thus my phrase "Legend-size loads."

It is easy to combine the ACA-supplied routes to make fewer, bigger routes in MapSource, up to your receiver's maximum waypoints per route. In fact, we expected people to build their own routes. There are two ways. You can copy and paste waypoints from one route to another in the Route Properties dialog box. This is faster if you start two instances of MapSource.

You can also use the Selection tool on the map itself. Select a route and click on the last waypoint in the route. The mouse pointer gains a plus sign. Now click on waypoints along the next route to add them to the selected route.

The G7toWin program cannot read data directly from the MapSource file, but it is easy to transfer the data. Write a GPX file from MapSource and read it into G7toWin. The GPS Data Users Guide gives a lot more about dealing with waypoints and routes. From the Adventure Cycling home page, go to Routes & Maps, then GPS Information to get the guide.

I think your idea of several files, each containing fewer than 1000 waypoints, is the way to go. Leave some space for waypoints you might want to add while riding. Also, allow plenty of overlap because you are not likely to find a computer right at the end of each file.

The GPS data definitely do not substitute for the paper maps, which have a wealth of cycling-specific information. I never appreciated how much those maps contain until I got out there and rode with them.

Have a great trip!

Fred

Offline gtofrada

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 09:12:17 pm »
Fred,

Sending the MapSource disk, and the data disk to a friend in Colorado.  I have plenty of overlap and will just reload my GPS there.  It was your remarks in other replies that provided this solution.  

Doug

Offline Fred Hiltz

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 09:05:19 am »
Sounds good, Doug. Please let us know when you finish the ride how it went and what you thought of the GPS experience.

Have a great trip,

Fred