Author Topic: GPS/PDA - iPAQ rx5915 or other?  (Read 3137 times)

Offline valygrl

GPS/PDA - iPAQ rx5915 or other?
« on: October 21, 2007, 08:56:32 pm »
Anyone use one of these for touring?

HP iPAQ rx5915 Travel Companion with GPS

I just impulse-bought it.  Are there any other like items I should be looking at?

Looking for anyone's experiences with this thing.

Thanks.

Offline Fred Hiltz

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 08:59:35 am »
I have not used one, but reading reviews by people who have, I am skeptical. It gets good marks for its intended use in an auto, but for cycling, there are some questions to be answered:

Not waterproof, so you would need a case.

Rugged enough? Cannot tell from spec sheets, but would want to find out before putting it on a handlebar. No handlebar mount, though RAM could probably cook one up.

Battery life measured at 4-1/2 hours in one review http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=12573 It is a custom lithium ion battery; plan to buy a spare. Both batteries need recharging every night from a wall outlet.

The TomTom maps and mapping program are well regarded for auto use. It is good at here-to-there navigation. But can it build a route containing several intermediate waypoints (vias)? Can it be told to ignore interstates and toll roads? Check these out in your owner's manual.

As for other items to look at, the hand-held receivers that use AA cells work better on a bike. Garmin's GPSmap 60CSx is popular. Browse this forum and check out http://gpsinformation.net/ for reviews, discussion, and comparisons.

Fred

Offline valygrl

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 02:52:24 am »
Thanks for the input, Fred.

I got this thing a couple of days ago, and so far am unimpressed by its ability to navigate me around my home town.  That's really a bummer, I didn't even imagine it would be bad at that.

It does accept itineriaries with "via" points, although they are hard to build on the device itself.  There are some easy to use free tools out there, though.

The biggest dissapointment is the poor quality of the POI database.  Many things are missing & mislocated, and it doesn't have some very obviously useful POI categories, such as grocery stores.

I may return it.  I liked Nuvi's nav program better.  But I do like the HP PDA functionality.

I want it all!!! WEAH!!!

:)