Author Topic: More ?? on ACA map with Garmin and CityNav  (Read 3998 times)

Offline JimF

More ?? on ACA map with Garmin and CityNav
« on: May 01, 2008, 11:52:28 am »
I've been following the Garmin/MapSource discussion with Kathy. Thanks to all who contributed; I recently bought a 60CSx and CityNavigator, so the information was helpful in laying out my own route for an ACA GPS map. I have another question: the ACA route downloads as a direct series of waypoints (Garmin's "Use Direct Routes" rather than "Use Auto-Routing" under the Preferences menu. I understand that that allows routing over bike trails and other non-designated pathways in CN. When you actually start your tour with "Navigate," do you still use the "Off Road" option or, if that day's route does not include any non-road stretches, do you select "Follow Road"?

I also picked up the advice to cut waypoints (wp) that are not intersections to reduce the number of waypoints. When there is a long, twisting stretch of road, where your location at any point may be some distance from the next wp and off the road, does one ignore the GPS display until you reach the next intersection? Thanks.

Offline ptaylor

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 12:07:44 pm »
Hi Jim.

Q: "When you actually start your tour with "Navigate," do you still use the "Off Road" option or, if that day's route does not include any non-road stretches, do you select "Follow Road"?"
A: Always use Follow Road, unless you are on a bike trail or unmapped forest road.

Q: "does one ignore the GPS display until you reach the next intersection?"
A: No. Your GPS unit will be smart enough to figure out all the proper intermediate intersections and turns, following the roads and streets on the map.

I suggest you make up a route with MapSource, on some of your local streets and roads. Download that to your unit and use it to practice with.

Paul
Paul

Offline JimF

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 10:35:49 am »
Thanks, Paul, for the info. I'm doing some local trials to acquaint myself better with this unit. It has so many more features than my old eTrex Summit.

Did you use the off-road transition feature for a route? The manual for the 60CSx notes it, but doesn't explain its context. It sounds like it might be used where a segment of the route is off-road(?)

Thanks again.

Offline ptaylor

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 12:28:01 pm »
I never used the off-road feature. There was a long stretch of bike trail in Washington State, and then the Erie Canal path, but I either turned my unit off or enjoyed how I was 'out-smarting' my unit. In either event, I followed my paper map, not my GPS. I suppose I could have switched to the 'off road' mode, but never tried it.

Paul
Paul