Bicycle Travel > Gear Talk

tires

(1/3) > >>

floyd:
I'm new to the touring scene having ridden mostly on racing oriented bikes.  What are the sweet tires for a touring bike?  Are any foldable?

ATSFfan:
I've done some research and found the Panaracer Pasela to be one of the better tires. Available in both wire and kevlar beaded (non folding/folding) and kevlar belt (puncture prevention, and a variety of sizes (700 x 32, 35, and 37 widths). For some reason the tread design on the 37 width is different from the 32 & 35mm widths.

I've used Panaracer tires for almost 20 years and think they're some of the best quality tires made for touring.

Richard Pace

pmspirito:
May I recomend tires reinforced with Kevlar, Velox rim tape, Tuffy liners, and thorn proof tubes.  Over the years this set up has never let me down.  I just gave my EZ racer a tune-up and picked out glass embedded in the tread so deep that I know I would have had a flat if not for the combo I use.

Peter Spirito

biker_james:
The Continental Top Touring 2000's are great tires in my book, and for a lot of others. I alos run Mr Tuffy tire liners to minimize the flat issue( I think its about 3 flats in 4 years for 2 bikes with this set up). I did try a set of Schwalbe Marathons when my first set of Conti's started to wear out. I really disliked the difference in handling with the new tires. I also skipped the tire liners since the Marathons have a Kevlar belt, and got a flat in pretty short order. The Marathons are now in the garage, and a new set of Conti's is on the bike.
There does seem to be an issue with supply of Continentals at least here in Canada-several times shops have tried and just been unable to get them for us, so shen we find some we just grab them.

Lucky13:
Some choices...

Schwalbe Marathon
Continental Top Touring 2000
Continental Travel Contact
Avocet Cross II K

I've had good luck over the years while running on 700x35  Avocet Cross tires.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version