Author Topic: Front rack for new T2000?  (Read 5402 times)

Offline blueridge

Front rack for new T2000?
« on: March 31, 2005, 12:44:24 am »
I just bought a 2005 Cannondale T2000.  I'd like to add a low-rider front rack and front panniers.  I ordered an inexpensive front rack from Bike Nashbar and it doesn't fit.  I don't want to waste more time and money ordering racks just to try them.  Does anyone know (for certain) of a front rack that will nicely attach to the T2000 using the braze-ons and fork-end eyelets provided?

Offline biker_james

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 08:45:39 am »
Probably the easiest thing is to get the shop you purchased your bike at get you a rack, and mount it. Then it is their problem to ensure it fits.
 I will say that I am a little surprised that you are having problems, as I would have assumed that the basic dimensions for the mounting points on touring bikes would be pretty similar to other bikes, with some adjustability in the rack design.

Offline BC

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 12:34:14 am »
I just bought an '05 T2000, and have had the same problem. The Tubus Tara low-rider, which fit my Giant perfectly, wouldn't even come close. A call to Cannondale seemed to indicate that the rack they recommended was an Old Man Mountain lowrider. I bought their AC Low-rider, which I managed to get on, but I'm not impressed. The blades of the "Ultra Fatty" fork maintain their "Fatty" all the way down to the drop-outs, which seems to be part of the problem. I plan to call Cannondale again to see if I can speak to a tech for specific advice, and possibly see if I can get a different fork. Personally, I don't think that the "Ultra Fatty" makes for a good touring bike design. I'll let you know if Cannondale has any words of wisdom to add to the discussion.

Offline BC

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 12:55:10 pm »
Blueridge-
Please see my previous reply, but don't spend the money on the AC Low-rider from Old Man Mountain. I called Cannondale today and spoke with a tech, who acknowledged that rack choices were extremely limited for that fork. He seemed to say that it wasn't a big deal since most people use the bike as a "sport road" bike and don't actually need front racks! I pointed out to him that both the '04 and '05 catalogs show photos of fully-loaded T2000's and that the T2000 is marketed and advertised as a touring model, not a sport model. The bottom line is that I'm getting them to give me a new fork - possibly the one that goes on the T800. I have to go through my dealer, who will work with the Cannondale rep to process the whole thing. My dealer already spoke with the tech that I talked to, and the tech as much as admitted to the dealer that it's not a good fork for a touring bike. My new advice is to call Cannondale (1-800-245-3872), be an active consumer, and make some noise! It's the only way that a glitch like this will be addressed. We spent the money - we should be able to find a good rack that will go on without jumping through hoops and wasting more money trying racks that won't fit. Good luck! Let me know how you make out.

Offline Oobbuuky

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 12:24:23 am »
I bought a T2000 last summer and have had the same problems with the front fork and racks.  Is there any update with Cannondale about the issue?  I'm still trying to get them on the phone and reply to emails...

Offline Wingman

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 01:07:14 pm »
Hello
What front Lowrider Rack is best suited for the 2005 T2000?

Tim

Offline Oobbuuky

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 03:33:55 pm »
I ended up finding a Jandd front rack that fit well.  It was the "Low Front Rack"
http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FRLOW

The lower connectors came in from below and neatly avoided the over-sized fork arms.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 08:30:10 pm »
I have an '01 t2000 I put a carbon fiber fork and then bought a BoB.

Offline Oobbuuky

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 10:10:04 am »
Do the earlier years of the T2000 have the "Fatty Fork" problem like the 2004/2005 models?

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 02:10:39 pm »
Having looked at the new t2000 my 2001 fork looks very different.  I replaced mine with a carbon cyclecross fork and really like it.  However I cannot use front racks with it.  

Offline Wingman

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 04:20:28 pm »
Thanks Oobbuuky

The Jandd Lower Fronts look like the one I need.

Tim :)

tofubicycle

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 07:15:07 pm »
I work at a shop that deals, among other things, Cannondale bikes. Rack compatability was a noted problem with the '05 touring models and it sounds as though this problem has not been addressed for '06. Indeed, thier technical department has repeatedly suggested the Old Man Mountain rack that mounts on the brake bosses! Imagine, a company produces a fork with rack bosses and then suggests a rack which does not use them!

The Jandd model previously mentioned by another member   here has been found to work. It should be noted however that Jandd racks are constructed of Aluminum. T2000 owners searching for a Cro-Mo rack should look into the Surly Nice Rack. Both front and rear models are built to be stong, not especially light, and come with a dizzying aray of hardware but are, in terms of mounting options, easily the most versitle racks I have ever seen.

--
......... __ o
.........-\<,
......(O) (O)...........
i'd rather be biking.

Offline 2010

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 02:30:07 pm »
http://www.thetouringstore.com/TUBUS/Duo/DUO%20PAGE.htm  "When you buy quality, you cry only once."
I own a T2000 it rides like a Lexus!