Author Topic: Trek 4500 mountain bike  (Read 3189 times)

Offline kenmray

Trek 4500 mountain bike
« on: April 17, 2005, 09:48:26 pm »
Hello,
I am totally new to touring; haven't done any yet.  Just getting started. My background is backpacking.  Is the Trek 4500 a good choice for dirt road touring and pulling a trailer? What bikes are frequently used and proven reliable on routes like the Great Divide trail?  Thanks.

Offline TwoWheeledExplorer

• World Traveler
  • "I am well, thank God, and in high spirits"
Trek 4500 mountain bike
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 08:58:55 am »
I ride a Trek 4600 which is the same frame, but with SRAM components. I have had it about a year now, and have used it on a number of backcountry patrols and camping trips. Minnesota's terrain is not as severe as the Rockies, but the bike has served well using both a BoB trailer or panniers on different occaisions. I am not a petite person (250+ lbs.) and this bike has been great. I am not big on Shimano, so when my LBS got this in, the manager called me and said "I have a bike for you!" He was right. I would say go for it on your 4500. (I did put a WTB SST2 saddle on. The Bontrager isn't bad, but the WTB is better.)

Ride safe,
Hans

Hans Erdman, WEMT
Backcountry Trail Patrol-MN
www.trailpatrol.org
St. Brendan's Two-Wheeled Explorer
www.twowheeledexplorer.org
Dedicated to the adventure of missionary exploration...to the ends of the earth.

Offline kenmray

Trek 4500 mountain bike
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 05:55:52 pm »
Thanks for the reply Hans I appreciate it.  Your info is helpful.  I would actually prefer panniers but wasn't sure about the extra weight on the frame,suitable racks etc.  I am smaller than you so I should be OK.  A dedicated touring bike isn't an option for me at this time and I thought this might be a viable alternative for backcountry touring and day-to-day riding.
Thanks again.
Ken