Author Topic: Folding Bikes on Airplanes  (Read 3134 times)

Offline ptaylor

Folding Bikes on Airplanes
« on: April 07, 2008, 08:25:06 pm »
I just bought a Dahon Mu XL folding bike. My questions to this forum are:
[list=1]
  • Do you have personal experience with this bike?
  • Do you have personal experience with any folding bike?
  • What size suitcase do I need, without removing things like wheels, seat, and fenders
  • What are the odds I will be charged for an oversize suitcase?

Although this is a touring forum, I'm guessing that some of you will be able to lend insight into folding bikes on airplanes.

Paul
Paul

cyclesafe

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 10:12:50 pm »
To avoid oversized luggage charges you must be able to enclose the bike within 62 linear inches (for example a 26x26x10 suitcase.  Also, the bike plus suitcase must weigh no more than 50 lbs.  (In the U.S.)

Now, don't volunteer that the suitcase packages a bike, because if you do there is an extra charge just because its a bicycle.  Say its machine parts or sporting equipment.  Or best yet, pretend that you don't hear the question....

This message was edited by cyclesafe on 4-7-08 @ 6:13 PM

Offline bogiesan

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 01:16:59 am »
Those British folders, Brompton, Dahon, and Bike Friday all have their
own user forums. I'd start there.

david boise ID

go, ristretto, FCP/AE
"Read the manual."
I play go. I use Macintosh. Of course I ride a recumbent

Offline tgpelz

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 12:50:57 am »
I have a Bike Friday.  It will fit into a suit case, but you have to take things apart, more than just folding it up.

If you have problem with taking things apart, (really it is a bigger problem putting it back together) you could have a bike shop do the work.

With the Friday, the entire bike and wheels (bike and trailer.  The suit case becomes a trailer with attaches to the bike easily) fit into the suit case.  You have to put your panniers in a separate bag.

If you fly yourself, take the rear seats out of the airplane, remove the wheels, wrap an old towel around the chain, sprockets, etc., remove the seat, disconnect the brake and gear shifting cables from the top tube and then rotate the handle bars 180 degrees.

Then place the bike into the airplane upside down, with the handle bars in the back.

Works perfect for me.

Tom