Author Topic: hauling child, plus - trailer recommendations?  (Read 2897 times)

Offline funkymama

hauling child, plus - trailer recommendations?
« on: April 17, 2008, 01:18:38 pm »
Hi there ...

New to the forum, but a (renewed) ACA member. Yay! :)

My son just turned 1 and I'd like to get a trailer to hook up to my Trek 520 (maybe to my Trek mt bike & hubby's Schwinn). I'll use it mostly to get around town - to daycare, to work, to grocery store, etc. I'm wanting to get into some longer riding again, around 25-40 miles with the trailer.

Any IRL experiences? Recommendations? I've been looking at the Burley D'Lite. That seems to get good reviews, but it's spendy (though I'm sure I'll get my money's worth!).

Oh, and I should mention that I do need to consider weight because my small town is built into river bluffs, so lots of hills! Any of my longer rides would start & end with a 6% grade to get in & out of town.

TIA! :p

~ Jessica ~
~ Jessica ~

Offline DaveB

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 10:29:38 pm »
Post a WTB (want to buy) on Craigs List, at your local bike shops and in any bike club newsletters for used trailers to keep the cost down.  

These things tend to have short useful lives as kids grow up quick and the parents don't want to have the now unneeded trailer filling up space. Many are in as-new condition at a small fraction of the new price.  

Offline bogiesan

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 11:30:15 pm »
These things tend to have short useful lives as kids grow up quick
and the parents don't want to have the now unneeded trailer

I had one of the very first Burleys in Boise ID back in 1983 when my
son was 2-1/2. I kept it long past the time my boy was no longer
interested in riding to interesting places with his father. It hauled tons
of groceries.

Some real advice. Don't depend on the screen to protect your precious
cargo. Get really good fenders.

david boise ID

go, ristretto, FCP/AE
"Read the manual."
I play go. I use Macintosh. Of course I ride a recumbent

Offline DaveB

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 10:31:42 am »
I had one of the very first Burleys in Boise ID back in 1983 when my son was 2-1/2. I kept it long past the time my boy was no longer interested in riding to interesting places with his father. It hauled tons of groceries.

Your useage is highly unusual as any review of Craig's List, Bike Shop For Sale boards or E-bay will demonstrate.  

As I noted, bike trailers are usually sold after a fairly short ownership period as soon as the kids outgrow them.   There are big savings to be had on good trailers in nearly new condition if you buy them used.  

Offline funkymama

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 11:18:08 am »
Thanks for the responses.

I have been scouring ebay and posted an ISO on CraigsList (though CL isn't real active around here). So, we'll see how far I get!

It's tempting, though, to suck it up and buy the 2008 model for $500+, which now features elastomer suspension. Or, I could buy an 07 on clearance for $400. Or, a used for probably $250-300 with shipping.

Is the new suspension worth it?

Now, I'm expecting to get several years of use. My son is only a year old now, and I hope to have another one or two to haul around. So, I could get as much as 4-5 years out of it. Is that worth it to spend another $200-250 on something new?

~ Jessica ~
~ Jessica ~