Author Topic: Fishing for Advice  (Read 4199 times)

Offline TwoWheeledExplorer

• World Traveler
  • "I am well, thank God, and in high spirits"
Fishing for Advice
« on: April 08, 2008, 10:31:55 am »
I'm planning a multi-day trip on the North Shore of Lake Superior combining biking and camping with fishing for trout in the many tributaries of "the Big Lake They Call Gitchee-Gumi." I have two collapsible, ultra-light spinning rods, that fit into my panniers just fine, and I'll be taking at least one of them with me. But trout fishing doesn't seem right without my fly rod and some choice dry flies. I don't feel like unloading $150.00-plus for a packable fly rod. My two-piece Eagle-Claw fits into a 3.5 foot aluminum tube. I use front and rear Jandd Expedition panniers, although I have and could use a BoB trailer. I plan on using my Novara Safari, although, again, I have an alternate, and could ride my Bianchi Volpe. Anybody have any good ideas how to take the fly rod along for the trip? It could be worth a free trout dinner for the winning suggestion!

Ride safe,
Hans

St. Brendan's Travelers Bicycle Missions Team
www.stbrendans-spoke.org
The Two-Wheeled Explorer: Ride the River
www.twowheeledexplorer.org
"Every person has a river to ride...you are to Ride the River."--Pr. Larry Christenson

Offline bogiesan

Fishing for Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 01:14:44 am »
Taking one's fly rod anywhere and everywhere is a topic that's got to
be well covered among the fly fishing people of the world, I should
think.

when i flew kites, my 48" carrying tubes were simply bungeed to the
top tube. Worked fine around town and many of my kites were far
more expensive than your rods. But touring? If I was still flying, I'd find
kites made for touring rather than figuring out how to safely transport
my prized stunters.

david boise ID.

go, ristretto, FCP/AE
"Read the manual."
I play go. I use Macintosh. Of course I ride a recumbent

Offline DaveB

Fishing for Advice
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 11:23:05 am »
If the finest action isn't a big issue, Cabellas lists a 4-piece "Eagle Claw" 7-1/2' fly/spin rod for about $42.  It's rated for 7-weight line so it isn't a delecate wand but for lake fishing it should be fine.  

Here is the URL:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0013034116645a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_RESULTS_NYR-perf&returnPage=search-results2.jsp&Ne=2510&Ntt=Pack+Rods&noImage=0&QueryText=Pack+Rods&Ntk=Products&Ntx=matchall&trueNum=24&N=3355&rid=0180101070502&cmCat=perf&cm_ven=performics&cm_cat=Google_NonBrand&cm_pla=fish_fishrod_general&cm_ite=pack%20rods&_requestid=16508

This message was edited by DaveB on 4-9-08 @ 7:23 AM

• World Traveler
Fishing for Advice
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 11:27:49 am »
Nice! Thanks!
Hans

www.stbrendans-spoke.org
"Every person has a river to ride...you are to Ride the River."--Pr. Larry Christenson

Offline JayH

Fishing for Advice
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 12:07:24 pm »
I once biked to work carrying my 160cm XC Skis on my backpack...  It wasn't bad but getting on and off the bike I had to be careful with the skis if they were below the compression straps they were in. I basically used the side compression straps in my backpack and tied the tips together with a bungee. My ski boots were in my panniers.  

Perhaps something similar could be done with the fly rod?

jay

• World Traveler
Fishing for Advice
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 12:18:16 pm »
You mean like putting my waders in my panniers? (Grin!)
Hans

www.stbrendans-spoke.org

Offline DaveB

Fishing for Advice
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 02:28:16 pm »
A few years ago in the Netherlands, I saw a guy on a bike carrying a couch balanced on his shoulders.  

There are ways of transporting some very awkward items on a bike but it probably reduces the joy of riding.  ;)