Author Topic: Pittsburgh Major Taylor Cycling Club  (Read 7568 times)

Offline sbthomas

Pittsburgh Major Taylor Cycling Club
« on: July 11, 2004, 04:05:36 pm »
Greetings,

I am please to report that we have launched the Pittsburgh Major Taylor Cycling Club.    We created the club  as a way to organize ourselves and create a social support network.  Most of us have never been on a "tour" and some of us do not have bicycles.  But we make up for it all with heart and soul. Please reply to this message with tips on how to get started.  Thanks in advance...

Stephen
www.cmh.pitt.edu

"Be the change you seek in the world", Stephen

Offline sbthomas

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 04:06:54 pm »
Attached is an article that recently appeared in Pennsylvania Health and Fitness Magazine. It points out some bicycling routes and resources around Pittsburgh and PA in general that I though may be of interest.

Today I mailed a few samples of our "Before You Go" Handbook to Dr. Thomas. It is a planning a preparation guide designed for the participants of our events like American Explorer. Pass 'em around and have a look. A bit closer to the trip, those that sign up will receive more detailed logistical information specific to that tour, as well as a copy of the Before You Go handbook.

Larry Diskin
Outreach and Education Coordinator

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring people of all ages to travel by bicycle.
(800) 755-2453 x220 toll free, (406) 721-1776 x220 phone, (406) 721-8754 fax
[ http://www.adventurecycling.org/ ]www.adventurecycling.org

"Be the change you seek in the world", Stephen

Offline Pittsbarb

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 01:47:15 pm »
...and so we did get started last Sunday with our first urban ride, which, this being Pittsburgh, included hills!  We did well. There is so much more to explore and share and there's nothing like seeing things by bike.  We need to work more on outreach, which we've just started.

Offline mbrowne

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 11:53:20 pm »
Greetings -
It has been quite awhile since I contributed to tis forum. So, I wanted to let everyone know that I did my first ride in over twenty years last month by participating in Pedal Pittsburgh along with one of our (CMH) Lay Health Advisors, Mr. Kenny Pratt. Kenny, who happens to be my barber, had such a good time that he has been actively seeking out other riders so we can begine riding some evenings and some Sundays.
I hope this can be the beginning of an "active" Majot Taylor Cycling Club!
-Mario

Offline CMajernik

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 07:47:58 pm »
Mario:
That's great that you did a ride. Keep it up!

Carla Majernik
Routes and Mapping Program Director

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring people of all ages to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x218, 406/721-8754 fax
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline mbrowne

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 11:55:04 am »
Greetings All!

I am pleased to give the following update on the Pittsburgh Major Taylor Cycling Club:

We have a core group of six men, with several more in the que who need some more encouragement (Lets go guys and dolls).

We completed our sixth training ride yesterday, Sunday, October 9th, pedaling aproximately 24 miles along three regional trails; North Shore, Eliza Furnace, and Panther Hollow Trails.

We are preparing for the opening of the Underground Railroad Bicycling Route. See the following link for a preview: http://www.evolv.com/ugrr.pdf

Finally, one of our Major Taylor Club members, Mr. William (Bill) Snyder, Jr. participated in "Free Ride" on Friday, September 30th. Way to go Bill!

Free ride happens the last Friday of each month, beginning at the Carnegie Museum in Oakland at the dinosaur.

Until next time,
Keep Pedaling!