Author Topic: LEST WE FORGET: THE TRIUMPH OVER SLAVERY..."  (Read 5275 times)

Offline sbthomas

LEST WE FORGET: THE TRIUMPH OVER SLAVERY..."
« on: July 14, 2004, 10:45:09 am »
Greetings,

As we embark on creating the Underground Railroad Bicycle Route we can expect to be changed by the experience.  We must all be aware, at all times, of how the history of slavery and the struggle to freedom is one of the defining moments in the history of human civilization.  Thus, it is important that we document the impact of this experience on our own personal, professional and organizational lives.  Some of what we learn will be painful and shameful... as well as hopeful and a source of strength.  The most important thing is that we fully engage in the process of learning.

So, I am very pleased to introduce you to a very special website created by the Schomberg Center for Research in Black Culture, The New York Public Library working in partnership with the UNESCO Slave Route Project to mark the United Nations General Assembly's resolution proclaiming 2004 as the International Year to Commemorate the Struggle against Slavery and its Abolition.  

FOLLOW THE LINKS BELOW TO ACCESS "LEST WE FORGET: THE TRIUMPH OVER SLAVERY..."
http://digital.nypl.org/lwf/english/site/flash.html

Here are hints for reviewing:

1.  The pictures below lead to the text.
2.  Press the down arrow for more text.
3.  Press "more" for additional text for that picture.
4.  Go to the next picture.

Please SPREAD THE WORD

Stephen

Please follow the links below and share your thoughts on the Underground Railroad Discussion Forum on the Adventure Cycling website:
http://www.adventurecycling.org/forums/viewtopics.cfm?Forum=19

This message was edited by sbthomas on 7-14-04 @ 6:46 AM
"Be the change you seek in the world", Stephen

Offline mbrowne

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 06:06:36 pm »
I just visited this site and it is fascinating! I recommend it as required reading for everyone involved and interested in the UGRR Project.
I need to spend more time on the site, as well the the culture page of UNESCO to see if there are some key links to the UGRR.

Offline mbrowne

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 08:15:45 pm »
Just another note or observation from the Lest we Forget site. In reading the profile on Sojorner Truth it states that she escaped from Virginia, and later returned to "the South" to help others escape on the Rail Road. I would like to know the extent of the "South" she travelled to. Does the Schomberg have any history of Ms. Truth's routes? Hmmmm...