Author Topic: Idea for the route  (Read 4873 times)

Offline Chuck_Harmon

Idea for the route
« on: October 19, 2005, 02:46:54 pm »
Establish a network of conductors along the URR Route.  Conductors would be institutions such as Public Libraries, Cultural Heritage Centers, Museums, Colleges and Universities and others that agree to make our cyclists feel welcome and to distribute information about underground railroad sites in their communities.

Conductors would be identified on the published maps of the route.  An institution would have to apply to become a conductor and there would be published minimum criteria for acceptance as a conductor.  For example, at a minimum a conductor would agree to distribute a flyer about Underground Railroad sites in their community.  The flyer could range from an 8.5 by 11.0 sheet of paper to an elaborate pamphlet.  Production costs would be raised locally by the conductor.

It seems to me that if we do this it could unleash a powerful set of local activities that would enhance the route.  

Offline mbrowne

Idea for the route
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 08:33:54 am »
Chuck,

I like your idea. I check back later to share some more updates witrh the forum.

Thanks!

Offline Chuck_Harmon

Idea for the route
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 08:34:31 am »
Thanks Mario,

This idea was really inspired by Dr. Thomas' remarks in Cincinnati when he said that the route was more than a map and when he asked what we can do now, prior to publication of the maps to promote and use the route.

If Ad Cycling and The Center for Minority Health endorse this idea, I would be willing to invest time recruiting conductors throughout Ohio.  However, before doing so, I would like to see what I will call the "Certified Conductor" program formalized.  By formalized, I mean there should be a set of minimal standards published for becoming a conductor and we probably should probably develop an standardized application form and procedure for applying to become a "certified conductor" on the route.  

I do not want to spend time recruiting organizations to become conductors if this idea crashes and burns.

Another responsibility of a certified conductor could be to work with bike shops and cyclists in the area to promote the use of the route for short day trips ranging from 5 miles to 50 miles (or more).  By promotion of day trips I mean hosting organized rides with a cyclist/leader who acts as an interpretive guide and looks after newer cyclists that might lack the confidence to ride on their own.

Offline GSullivan

Idea for the route
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 03:10:55 pm »
Chuck,
Love your idea. I'm going to discuss it with CMH on Friday.  This would be a great way to involve agencies at a local level.

Keep the ideas coming!

Ginny Sullivan