Author Topic: Recent Book About Underground Railroad  (Read 4541 times)

Offline jkhunka

Recent Book About Underground Railroad
« on: December 12, 2005, 12:30:54 pm »
In May of 2005, a new history book was released under the title "Bound for Canaan: The Underground Railroad and the War for the Soul of America."  The author is Fergus M. Bordewich.  I highly recommend this book to anyone researching the proposed bike route.  The paperback edition of the book is scheduled to be released in January or February of 2006.

John Hunka
Philadelphia, PA

P.S.  As a graduate of Oberlin College, I am very excited about this project and would love to assist in bringing it to fruition.

John Hunka
Manhattan

Offline Chuck_Harmon

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 07:49:01 am »
Hi John,

I helped to coordinate the route in Ohio and it goes through Oberlin.  I have spoken with Pat Murphy the Executive Director of the Oberlin Heritage Center who is very interested in our project.  If we do develop the concept of Conductors along the route, I think that Pat would be interested in having the Oberlin Cultural Center participate.    

Are you still in the Oberlin area or have you moved on to another location?  Do you think that Oberlin College would be interested in having some ongoing role in promoting awareness and use of the route?  The Oberlin Heritage Center is not open seven days a week.  If there were additional conductors in Oberlin (perhpas the College or the Public Library) it would give riders a place to stop if the Cultural Center was closed during their visit to Oberlin.

Here is the link to a walking tour of Cival War sites in Oberlin.  There is also a short cycling tour and I have misplaced the link to that. Pat Murphy indicated that the Heritage Center would be willing to distribute information about Oberlin to our riders.  She also expressed interest in selling Ad Cycling maps of the route in their bookstore.

http://www.oberlin.edu/external/EOG/CivilWarTour/Stop8.html

Offline jkhunka

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 08:55:24 am »
Hi Chuck,

I graduated from Oberlin College way back in 1985, and I now live in Philadelphia, PA.

Yes, I think the college would be very interested in having a role in promoting awareness and use of the route.  In fact, I contacted the alumni magazine last week to tell them that many alumni would be excited about the bike route and to suggest that the magazine publish an article about the topic.

Ideally, I wold like to see the college develop a permanent exhibit about the Underground Railroad that would include a slide show or film.  (The Lorain Public Library has assembled a slide show, called the Underground Railroad: The Lorain County Connection, that is available for free loan.)

There are three places on campus that are open seven days a week that would be perfect for an exhibit.  The first location is the Seeley G. Mudd Learning Center, which is the main library for the college.  The second location is Peters Hall, which is the student union building.  The third location is the Oberlin Inn, an on-campus hotel owned and operated by the college.  (In fact, the Adventure Cycling map should list the Inn as a place for lodging in Oberlin.)

Regards,
John

John Hunka
Philadelphia, PA
John Hunka
Manhattan

Offline vcwicker

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 05:51:38 pm »
I read this book last summer and I strongly recommend it to anyone
looking for an exciting and informative introduction to the Underground
Railroad. The main geographic areas covered are New York State and the
Ohio River Valley. I saw the paperback edition in the store the other day.