Author Topic: Xenia, Ohio  (Read 6502 times)

Offline vcwicker

Xenia, Ohio
« on: April 02, 2006, 08:47:12 pm »
I'm very excited about this new route and tour, and I hope that I can
complete it someday soon. On the map I saw that the route passes
through Xenia, Ohio and I was wondering if there's a stop there and, if so,
what sights are for seeing. My grandfather was born and raised there.
Also, and I hope this isn't too much of a change of topic, is there a stop in
Yellow Springs?

Offline CMajernik

Xenia, Ohio
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 04:13:49 pm »
At this point we don't know of any Underground Railroad sites in Xenia. At
Xenia Station, a bike hub and visitor information center, over 50 miles of
paved bike paths radiate outward throughout Greene County. Here's a link
to Xenia Station's website to find out what is available around the town:
http://www.ci.xenia.oh.us/bikehub.html

The route is going past the National Afro-American Museum and Cultural
Center in Wilberforce, which is just northeast of Xenia. We aren't going to
Yellow Springs, but there is a bike path from Xenia northward to Yellow
Springs which is 10 miles.  

Carla Majernik
Routes and Mapping Program Director

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring people of all ages to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x218, 406/721-8754 fax
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline merganser

Xenia, Ohio
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 01:42:37 pm »
Hi,
I am from the Xenia,Ohio area and graduated from college at Central State University. I currently live in Western Kentucky but go back to Xenia about every other month. Xenia is a great place to use as a base site and cycle to various places. The bike paths in this area are asphalt and they are kepy very clean. I often ride from Cincinnati to Xenia and then to the Columbus area. The entire route by bike path.Yellow Springs is a fantastic place to visit as well Youngs Dairy(great ice cream), John Bryan State Park and Glen Helen in the Yellow Springs area. And do not miss the Old Clifton Mill as well. If you need any additional info, let me know!

Offline dcolley2

Xenia, Ohio
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 12:36:27 pm »
Good morning.  I ride the London to Xenia route on a regular basis and live close by the Ohio-Erie Trail (Prairie Grass, etc).  If you go off road in Clark County between Selma and South Charleston, there is at least one home on South Charleston-Jamestown Road that was on the Underground Railroad.  You can't tour the home, but it is visible from distance directly from the path.  The offshoot that goes to Central State and Wilberforce forces you to ride a little on US42, which can be a little busy.  But there is a Museum in Wilberforce that does have information on the local UGRR.  The off path cycling in Greene-Clark-Fayette counties is very good.  There are quite a lot of farm roads between US42 and US35 all the way to London and/or Washington Court House.  There are some other Central Ohio area homes that were reputed to be safe harbor for the enslaved African-Americans escaping to freedom.  They can be accessible from the Ohio-Erie Trail.

Good topic.  Thanks.

Offline merganser

Xenia, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 08:11:39 am »
Day Tripper, How far is the bike path completed now days? I have rode it many times from Cincy to the town north of Cedarville when I am in state. Is it completed to Columbus? Thanks,Darryl

Offline Tom*3141

Xenia, Ohio
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 02:01:20 pm »
Dear Day Triper:
The Little Miami Scenic Trail (LMST) runs 76 miles from near Springfield, Ohio South through Yellow Springs and Xenia and ends just North of Cincinnati.
The UGGR runs North from Cincinnati on the LMST to Xenia, about 50 miles. From there it travels about 38 miles Northeast on the Prairie Grass Trail to London, Ohio. From that point East until you get into Columbus, Ohio proper there is no multi-use trail.

For those of you who are interested in the trails in Southwest Ohio including the trails mentioned above please see Miami Valley RailTrails at www.miamivalleytrails.org

I will answer questions about the trails in Southwest Ohio here.

Regards to all,

Thomas J. Recktenwalt
Webmaster
Miami Valley RailTrails
http://www.miamivalleytrails.org
Your Guide to the Multi-Use Trails
In Southwest Ohio