Author Topic: Libraries and the UGRR  (Read 4536 times)

Offline GSullivan

Libraries and the UGRR
« on: May 10, 2006, 02:56:26 pm »
We're currently looking for Public Libraries, especially those along the route corrdidor and those that have Underground Railroad collections to join an online message board designed for public and rural libraries. It is administered by Online Community Library Center (OCLC) and is supported by the Gates Foundation.  By joining the WebJunction community, Libraries can share UGRR resources and collections with eachother and traveling cyclists.  Adventure Cycling now denotes libraries in our service directory on our maps.  We've found touring cyclists utilize libraries for the internet and a nice place to relax (cool down or get warm/dry...)

We anticipate libraries along the route will become involved with the touring cyclist, possibly building community programs around educating and sharing knowledge with the cyclists.  Please invite your public library to join WebJunction. It's a free resource for any public library.  http://www.webjunction.org/do/Home

Thank you.  
Ginny Sullivan
Adventure Cycling

This message was edited by GSullivan on 5-12-06 @ 7:49 AM
Ginny Sullivan

Offline Khafre

Libraries and the UGRR
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 12:25:58 pm »
Alafia,

I have heard a great deal about Adventure Cycling Association and the Underground Railroad path from Mario Brown.

I am a librarian and member of several professional library asscoiations. If you are need in need of the information which you requested regrading libraies with UGRR materials, please let me know. I have the resources available to search, make contact with, and request those libraries participation with this project.

Offline GSullivan

Libraries and the UGRR
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 11:09:25 am »
Thank you for you offer to help us contact libraries along the route. We have mailed a great number of libraries along the route a letter and brochure inviting them to become part of WebJunction's on-line community. In the near future, we will be asking that libraries as well as bicycle shops, museums, historic sites and others participate in the UGRR bicycle route in a more hands-on capacity. Information about our Conductor project will be coming soon. Stay tuned - and I will be in touch when we have it ready to roll. Thanks again.
Ginny Sullivan

Ginny Sullivan