Author Topic: Erie-Oberlin-Cleveland Loop Tour  (Read 7278 times)

Offline jkhunka

Erie-Oberlin-Cleveland Loop Tour
« on: February 21, 2007, 01:14:56 pm »
This May, I'm planning a loop tour in northeast Ohio.  Starting in Erie PA, I plan to use the UGRR route to ride to Oberlin OH.  From Oberlin, I'm going to ride northeast to Cleveland.  From Cleveland, I'll return to Erie via the Northern Tier Route.  Does anyone know a good route for the leg of my trip from Oberlin to Cleveland?

John Hunka
New York NY

This message was edited by jkhunka on 2-21-07 @ 11:16 AM
John Hunka
Manhattan

Offline jgalloway

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 08:58:57 pm »
Where, specifically in Cleveland would you like to go? That will have
everything to do with the routing... Do you want to go/stay downtown
or do you want to avoid that?

Offline mckas

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 09:33:55 pm »
If you are going downtown, you will want to head north to the lake, and then follow the lake into downtown.  The last 3 or 4 miles will be the worst traffic wise, but over all not a bad ride.  I actually live in Cleveland on the west side.  If you give more specifics I can give you an actual route, and send you a map.  Heck, we even have a spare bedroom if you want.  We are close to the train.

I did not know that the UGRR route went through Oberlin.  I would have thought the the Northern Tier did.  I have to locate my old maps.  I actually just ordered the UGRR route a couple of days ago.  I'm hoping to ride down to Cincinnati with my 2 boys.  When I get my UGRR map, I'll have to compare it to the Northern Tier route.    

Offline jkhunka

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 04:16:53 pm »
My goal is to arrive in downtown Cleveland on Memorial Day weekend, when I'm going to get together with a friend to attend the big Ribfest.  Our plan is to stay at a hotel downtown.  Basically, I'm trying to find a nice scenic route from Oberlin to downtown Cleveland without retracing my steps from Erie to Oberlin.  

John Hunka
Manhattan
John Hunka
Manhattan

Offline mckas

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 08:49:26 pm »
There are a number of ways you can go, depending on your tolerance for traffic.  Go to this website: www.noaca.org/bikemaps.html  This website gives color coded bike routes, depending on bikeability, on various streets by county.  Oberlin is in Lorain county and Cleveland is in Cuyahoga. In my opinion, its reliable information.

The fastest route, would be to take the bike path from  Oberlin to Elyria, and then work your way to Center Ridge Rd. (purple on the map).  If you don't mind some traffic its not bad biking.  However, I would avoid rush hour.  When you hit Cleveland, head north to the lake, and then follow the lake into downtown.

Hope the info helps.  Any more questions, just ask.

Mike

Offline fleutz

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 08:32:06 pm »
This might help or not but try http://www.clevelandbikes.org for free use of maps for cycling only from NOACA. They show various ways through Cleveland and their experience level needed. They also show ACA routes as well

And That's All There Is !

This message was edited by fleutz on 5-23-07 @ 7:32 PM
And That's All There Is !

Offline metzenberg

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 06:10:49 pm »
John,

I actually did this same route last summer. From Oberlin to Elyria, there is an old rail trail that has been converted to a bike path, and it is always crowded. this rail trail crosses through the east side of the town of Oberlin. The county roads north and west of Oberlin are paved and have little traffic. Unfortunately, from Elyria onwards you are on roads, sometimes crowded, sharing with the cars. Here's the route I followed:

http://www.sanoodi.com/route/metzenberg/52697/oberlin-ohio-to-cleveland-ohio/

Oberlin should be on the Underground Railroad Route if it isn't. It was an important stop on the UR, and the college was the first in the USA to admit blacks as well as the first coeducational college. The second President of Oberlin College was the famed abolitionist Charles Grandison Finney. I'm a graduate of Oberlin College.

Howard

Offline GSullivan

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 09:57:20 am »
Hi all,
The Underground Railroad route definitely goes through Oberlin. The Northern Tier and the UGRR meet up in Ashtabula, OH and travel the same route through Erie, PA into NY. By the next addendum, they will continue along the same route all the way to Buffalo.

Thanks to a great volunteer route reseacher in Ohio (Thanks Tony!) we will be posting a connector route between the Northern Tier and the UGRR in Oberlin by next week (3-26-08). Go to "Connecting ACA Routes" Forum and you will be able to get this information.

Thanks. Ginny

Ginny Sullivan

Offline metzenberg

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 03:00:47 am »
I've had a chance to talk to some Oberlin College people in the last few months, and I understand that the town is very aware of being on the ACA route, and very happy for it.

The ACA Underground Railroad route through Oberlin, doesn't use the bike route I described. It commemorates a famous abolitionist incident, called the Oberlin-Welliington rescue, by taking the highway that the rescue route followed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberlin-Wellington_Rescue

After Oberlin, it goes around Cleveland, passing through Medina, Ohio. There was a famous abolitionist church in Medina, and nearby Kent, Ohio, was the home of John Brown. The route highlights a lot of sites where incidents occurred, where opponents of slavery preached, and so forth.

When I was a student at Oberlin, a group of students re-enacted the underground railroad on foot. My recollection is that they actually arranged to sleep in some homes and buildings that were used to hide slaves.

Howard

This message was edited by metzenberg on 5-21-08 @ 2:03 AM