Author Topic: Underground Railroad - Trail Surface  (Read 5600 times)

Offline slaubach

Underground Railroad - Trail Surface
« on: March 21, 2007, 01:24:17 pm »
Just wondering if anyone can tell me if this trail is paved from end to end as I'd like to do this ride on my road bike.

Thanks,
Scott

Offline Fred Hiltz

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 05:27:35 am »
Hi Scott,

It is not. The route uses rail-trail conversions in a few places, whose surface the Riding Conditions chapter on the ACA maps describes as "hard compacted stone dust and can be ridden with any tires."

"The Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail is an option... The trail is composed of crushed limestone and can be dusty in the summer and muddy in the spring."

I see no problem for a road bike. Paved roads are near to all these rail trails.

Fred

Offline GSullivan

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 11:57:35 am »
Hi Scott,
Fred is quite right, most of the UGRR is on roads - quiet back roads and/or roads with shoulders suitable for bicycling. We do follow the Little Miami Scenic Trail and the Western Reserve Greenway, both in Ohio. There are two more bike trails on the route in Ontario.

However, you seem interested in doing this route via your road bike and that would be the perfect bike for it. Our maps provide turn-by-turn instructions for staying on the right roads and also provide elevations, weather conditions and service information for camping or hotels. Let us know if we can answer any of your questions. Feel free to call our office at 800-755-2453.

Thanks.
Ginny Sullivan
New Routes Coordinator
Adventure Cycling Association

Ginny Sullivan

Offline slaubach

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 08:06:34 pm »
Ginny and Fred,

Thanks for your responses to my posting. I may plan to do this ride next year.

Scott