Author Topic: Topography from Erie to Pittsburg  (Read 4691 times)

Offline John Nettles

Topography from Erie to Pittsburg
« on: March 09, 2008, 11:13:20 pm »
I am thinking about doing a trip from Erie to Washington via UGRR and the GAP/C&O paths. While I am not worried she could handle the rail trail, what are the conditions between Erie and Pittsburg like as we would want to start in Pittsburg.

Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!

TulsaJohn
John

Offline GSullivan

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 09:47:35 am »
Hi John,
I have asked our route researcher in Pittsburgh (also the president of the Pittsburgh Major Taylor Cycling Club), Bruce Woods to address your question regarding the route between Pittsburgh and Erie.

We tried to use rail trails when possible through Pittsburgh and back roads all the way up to Erie but Bruce will be able to provide you with more detailed information about the route.

Have a wonderful time!
Ginny Sullivan

Ginny Sullivan

Offline BikeBruce

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 10:01:44 am »
Hello John, for the most part the route from Pgh to Erie is very manageable even for a novice cyclist, with a a few challenging hills here and there and some very scenic country roads. Be cautious when entering or exiting the heavy urban areas around Pittsburgh, traffic can be a bugger. Feel free to contact me anytime for more info.

Bruce Woods
Vice President
Pittsburgh Major Taylor Cycling Club
bwoods@duqlight.com

Offline John Nettles

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 10:07:58 am »
Thanks for the replies.  My daughter has done some limited rail-trail touring but wasn't sure about the heavy traffic and hills.  Thanks again!

TulsaJohn
John