Bicycle Travel > Urban Cycling

what bike do you use for pure urban ridin'?

(1/6) > >>

bruno:
i commute and do errands daily on my fendered iro jamie roy fixed gear. avg. around 30 miles a day--22 mile roundtrip commute and a few miles of errands.

ptaylor:
Hi Bruno.

I'm on my 4th 'commuter' bike in the past 30 years. The others have all been either stolen or destroyed by errant cars. In my mind, an urban bike needs 4 features:
[list=1]
[*]Good headlights and tail lights
[*]Fenders
[*]A kickstand
[*]Quality (read expensive - like Schwalbe Marathon Plus) tires
[/list]

Paul

tofubicycle:
I typically ride a Surly Steamroller set up as a fixed gear with alt-flat bars, a front brake, a rear fender, a bell and lots of lights. Though I'm beginning to lean towards 26" wheels full fenders and a front rack for commuting...

--
......... __ o
.........-\

ron_bike4peace:
man, i use to ride an old univega during the winter (i live in the seattle area, nasty wet winters) and then ride my salsa laraza during the summer. that's when i had a 14+ mile commute everyday. i still have the salsa, nicest bike i've ever owned and i've had a few. i use a bridgestone cb 0 for my everyday use and touring. if you don't know, the cb 0 is a "city bike". it's kinda like the xo, but more of a touring geomemtry and not as nice a frame. but it's a great bike. i've riden across the country the past 2 summers. i've upgraded it with all new old stock suntour xcpro, the famous moustache handlebar and brookes saddle.

This message was edited by ron_bike4peace on 1-27-07 @ 3:51 PM

DaveB:
My errand/rain bike is an '83 Trek 400, lugged steel frame and fork with a mix of parts-box components.  The drive train is a SR triple crank, and Shimano low-line derailleurs with 7-speed indexing downtube shifters mounted on Kelly Take-Offs. Most of the benefits of STI/Ergo at a small fraction of the cost.  It has fenders and a rack and weighs a ton.

Where I live (suburban Pittsburgh) a fixie or single speed isn't suitable for all but a very few relatively flat areas.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version