Author Topic: commuting by bike  (Read 39935 times)

Offline Tourista829

Re: commuting by bike
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2010, 10:59:55 pm »
I have a 19 mile commute each way. The last 4 miles being treacherous and not for the faint of heart. Tampa is not Portland. I saw the aftermath of a cyclist, on my route, in an ambulance, with internal injuries and broken collar bone. I am lucky, in the complex, where I work, there is a health club. I only want to use the shower, but they want a full club membership, they are not partial to cyclist. The other problem is, it is not safe to leave a good bike locked up outside. So I take my folding bike and store it under my desk. Since Friday is casual day, I currently commute, one day a week. If my schedule changes, I may commute a second day.

Offline ugdurcorp

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2012, 09:41:31 pm »
I bike from manhattan to Astoria everyday and love biking through queensboro bridge..

Offline solsrch

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2012, 06:44:27 am »
I've been commuting by bike 2-3x per week from Mount Vernon up to DC (Foggy Bottom) - just over 16 miles one way.  I'll use studded tires in the winter to deal with ice and light snow.  Once the temps hit the low teens, I jump in my Jeep but that doesn't happen much around here.  In the past I've commuted in Monterey, CA, Newport, RI, San Diego, CA (my favorite) and outside Manama, Bahrain.  I tend to go through stretches where I bike and then periods when I drive depending on what is happening in my life.  The bikes and cars change, but so far, I still come back to my bike eventually.  Getting ready to retire from the Navy and hoping to find a job that allows me to keep up this great way to get in some regular miles, reduce stress, and reduce my environmental impact.

Offline Wuwei

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2012, 08:06:23 pm »
I bike from Seattle to Mercer Island every day. It's about a 15-mile round trip and when the sun is shining, crossing the I-90 bridge on the bike lane is glorious. On the way home it's always fun to pass all the cars that are moving at a snail's pace.

Offline LawDog

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2012, 07:31:09 pm »
My commute is just over one mile. So I really don't need a bike at all--I could just walk it. But biking is more fun. I'm in Alaska, so the season impacts my riding pattern. Through summer, I bike just about everywhere. A couple of times a month, I'll start the truck up to take long trips. Otherwise, everything I need is in town. In winter, I put on the studs and manage to ride 3 or 4 days a week. Some days I wuss out, though, and opt for a nice heated truck. There are 2 or 3 weeks on each end of winter when I basically stop riding. When things are freezing up and when things are melting, it gets way too slippery and dangerous. I'm not that worried about falling down. I just don't want to get run over because a driver couldn't stop his car.

I commute by bike because it is fun. I don't do it to save money. I don't do it to save trees. I just like riding my bike.

Offline Trekgeek

« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2012, 03:59:24 pm »
I have been commuting to work via train and bicycle since March of this year. I ride 2 miles from my home to the VRE (Virginia Railway Express), ride about 40-45 minutes on the train and then get off and ride 7 miles to work. It is working out very well and averages 2 hours door to door including a shower before starting work. I wasn't going to take this new job unless I could stay off I-95 and so far this is great. I average about 100 miles a week riding 5 days as I have time to add a couple of miles going back to the train in the evening. Wx will not be an issue for me as staying off the interstate is a much bigger motivator to ride every day.
I commute using a 2012 Trek 520 with Planet Bike Hybred fenders, Ortleib rear panniers and a Topeak Rack bag.

Offline DeanBean440

« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2012, 08:17:28 pm »
Hello Everyone,
I'm a Student in Industrial Design at the Columbus college of Art and Design. Right now I am working on a senior thesis involving public bicycle parking. Below is a survey that I would love if anybody would fill out. Very interested in feedback, Thanks Everyone!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/F6JQ3Z9