Bicycle Travel > Urban Cycling

why bike?

(1/5) > >>

ron_bike4peace:
why bike? tell your story.
it all started for me when i lost a job about 12 years ago and could not afford to drive anymore. now, i do it because of the many benefits, not just the money thing.
cars are coffins! they rob me of any serenity that i have. riding a bicycle is healthier for the "whole" person, physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. to me cycling has been a spiritual experience. it is very liberating for the soul to not be trapped in a box, isolated from from your surroundings.
thats why i bike4peace!

qajaq:
Hey, Ron! I ride for many of the same reasons. Although I've been riding to work nearly every workday since I moved to Gainesville in August, 2000, I still owned a motor vehicle for much of that time. But two years ago I started to think seriously about getting rid of the van and going 100% human-powered.

Two months later, the van threw a rod, giving me my opportunity.

I haven't regretted it at all. I love the work-out, love the way I feel, the way I am energized when I get to work (and get back home). I love not spending a few thousand bucks a year on vehicle ownership, and not contributing that bit to environmental degradation.

And I just love the sense of freedom I get when I roll out of my driveway on two wheels!

capejohn:
No reason for riding bikes that are any different from playing sports or going out to dinner.  I enjoy it.

Keeping me young as I grow old.

dougstetson:
I relearned to ride a bike in San Francisco -- I discovered that bikes were about as fast as the local mass transit, but more reliable in terms of arrival at a destination. I enjoyed getting exercise while doing something necessary (visiting clients, friends, chores), not waiting for the next bus, streetcar, what have you, and putting one less car, even a mass transit car, on the road. In Virginia I can bike to the office in about 30 minutes. Takes 15 minutes to drive, so for the "cost" of 30 extra minutes I get an hour of aerobic exercise, and the feeling that I'm helping reduce the fossil fuel consumption and CO2 production (though, to be honest, only very slightly). I'm constantly aware, however, that it's dangerous. Despite my urban riding skills I realize that some car, truck or SUV can end it all for me. The local roads make sharing the road a challenge.

Doug Stetson
San Francisco bound

Sailariel:
I started riding in 2004 when I was diagnosed with cancer. I lost 50 lbs. and went into surgery strong as an ox. I got thoroughly hooked, now have three bikes that I have built, and have a state of art bike shop. I dont have cancer anymore.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version