In 2005, we rode from Fargo ND to Winona MN via the trails that parallel I-94. We chose to do this rather than using the AC Northern Tier for 1) more trail mileage and 2) to visit Minneapolis. Our route was:
- CR54 to Fergus Falls
- Central Lakes and Lake Wobegon Trails to St. Cloud
- County roads and suburban trails to Minneapolis
- Streets and trails through Minneapolis
- County and state highways to Cannon Falls
- Cannon Valley Trail to Red Wing
- Highways to Winona
We liked this routing. Have any of you used it?
AC's routing via the southern option is about 440 miles. We didn't take the shortest route possible so we rode 460. We enjoyed the trails and a day off in the city. There is a decent network of trails and good bike maps for getting through Minneapolis.