Author Topic: Trans am route, map or gpx Garmin.  (Read 347 times)

Offline Soulboy#1

Trans am route, map or gpx Garmin.
« on: August 06, 2016, 05:46:35 pm »
Hi

This might sound like a silly question but it keeps pinging in my head. I'm due to do the trail 2017 and so starting to prep for it. Is it best to use a map or are there gpx files out there for a Garmin?

Offline indyfabz

Re: Trans am route, map or gpx Garmin.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 03:21:31 pm »
The maps contain extremely useful services information.

Offline Soulboy#1

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 05:54:22 am »
Hey thanks for the reply. Aren't the maps a tad cumbersome? Does a GPX file not exist?

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 06:55:25 am »
Either can work.  I have done a good bit of touring with ACA maps, some with a dedicated handheld GPS, and some with my phone supplementing paper maps.  For the TA I'd use the paper maps if doing it again.  I would have the cell phone along so a quick google search would be possible, but I'd probably keep it turned off when not in use to conserve battery.

The TA route is straight forward enough that you really don't need to be constantly watching for the next turn.  One of my companions seemed to be able to remember the whole days route pretty reliably most days.  I just kept the current map in my map pouch and followed it.

I loved using GPS on a tour where where I was riding dirt roads and trails most of the time and there was little to no signage a lot of the time.  I did find keeping batteries charged to be a hassle.

Also I'd miss all the info on the back of the ACA maps.

As far as the bulk and weight of the paper maps...  I pack pretty crazy light (my most recent tours were in the 9-15 pound base gear weight) and still felt the maps were worth carrying on road tours.  I typically do mail them home as I finish with them and if you will be having any stuff sent from home along the way you could plan on having some of the maps sent to you.  If worried about the weight or bulk, you could consider taking maps enough to get you over the mountains at the end you start from and have the rest sent to you via general delivery when you hit the plains.

I am not sure where the ACA is on this, but a dedicated phone app that would allow all the features of the paper maps along with the advantages of the GPS would be the best of both worlds if you can manage the battery issues well enough.  I used an app like that on when hiking the John Muir Trail.  I carried a couple extra phone batteries and a small power wallet and left the cellular part of the phone turned off.

Offline JMilyko

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 08:58:02 am »
We do have gpx files for purchased from our online store here:

https://www.adventurecycling.org/cyclosource-store/route-maps/digital-route-data/transamerica-bicycle-trail-digital-data/

They contain all of the same route information as the maps. However, you don't get the Riding Conditions, Field Notes, Index Map or Weather Charts showing average precipitation and temperatures.

A TransAmerica Trail Route app is in development. I would expect it to be ready for a 2017 tour. Watch the website for an announcement.

Jennifer
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
Assistant Director, Routes & Mapping
Cartographer

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline Soulboy#1

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 04:45:21 am »
Thanks for all of this information mate it's much appreciated. Do people sell there trans am maps after their trips? I'd only figured that a gpx file on my Garmin would help but like you say it wouldn't give all the other additional information?

Offline Soulboy#1

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 04:46:10 am »
Hi there, thanks for the reply. What other stuff on the maps did you find to be the most helpful?

Thanks in advance

The maps contain extremely useful services information.

Offline indyfabz

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 11:08:52 am »
Thanks for all of this information mate it's much appreciated. Do people sell there trans am maps after their trips?

There is a classifieds section on this forum.

This person is selling nearly the entire set if TA maps:

http://forums.adventurecycling.org/index.php?topic=14067.0

Offline Soulboy#1

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 11:21:01 am »
Thanks mate

Offline PeteJack

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 10:37:18 pm »
ACA maps are great and I've used lots of them. They do however give you a sort of tunnel vision. For instance when I did the Transam I didn't realize we were within 15 miles of Wichita Kansas, a big city, until I looked at our location on a road map. State tourism places usually have free road maps for their state, see if you can pick one up as you go into a state, it'll give you the big picture. When you leave that state either bin the road map it or send it home as a souvenir

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 07:45:57 am »
ACA maps are great and I've used lots of them. They do however give you a sort of tunnel vision. For instance when I did the Transam I didn't realize we were within 15 miles of Wichita Kansas, a big city, until I looked at our location on a road map. State tourism places usually have free road maps for their state, see if you can pick one up as you go into a state, it'll give you the big picture. When you leave that state either bin the road map it or send it home as a souvenir
Yes I do the same in most states.  It is nice to have the state map in addition to the ACA maps.  I'll add another option for what to do with them when done with them.  I often gave them to another tourist going the other direction.

Offline PeteJack

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 10:28:47 am »
  I often gave them to another tourist going the other direction.
Good thinking!