Author Topic: brooks saddle break-in how long  (Read 371 times)

Offline drew5889

brooks saddle break-in how long
« on: July 24, 2014, 04:23:37 pm »
I am think about buying an all most new brooks swift might have  25 miles or less. Q has any one used or broke-in a swift ? how did it fill as new ? how long did it take to break it in ? did any one use any short cuts ? does any one have any pictures they could show ?  thanks

Offline Pat Lamb

Re: brooks saddle break-in how long
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 04:45:22 pm »
Not a Swift, but I've broken in four B-17s.  All of them felt pretty good once they were adjusted correctly when new.  It took 300-500 miles for each saddle to disappear, such that I stopped noticing it.

I've read the Team Pro is supposed to have thicker leather, so it takes longer to break in.  Some people say those take 1,000 miles to break in.  I'm not sure where on the B-17/Team Pro line the Swift falls.

Two notes.  First, adjustment is critical for a Brooks saddle.  I prefer two-bolt seatposts for the ease in making minor adjustments (without starting over every time you unscrew the single bolt on the other design).  Second, while many tourists prefer Brooks saddles - half or more, in my observations - not every bottom matches up with a Brooks.

Offline kukula

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 08:00:07 pm »
Here is my comfy Champion Flyer:

Offline zzzz

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 09:43:28 am »
I bought a Brooks Swift about a month ago and have about 400 miles on it now so this isn't a long term review.
It was pretty comfortable straight out of the box but it has not "disappeared" underneath me yet, I suspect another 400 for full break-in. I have had it on mostly 20┬▒ mile rides so far but also a couple of 80┬▒ milers.

Make sure you get the saddle dressing gel that Brooks sells as that helps w/ break-in (Proofide) and use as directed.

I have the Swift on one of my bikes and the Brooks Cambria (got that in May and it has about 2000 miles on it) on the other and I'm still trying to make up my mind as to which I take on my upcoming tour in September.

Pete

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 12:05:27 pm »
My only Brooks experience was with a B17.  I found it just OK when new and once really broken in I hated it.  I am probably the exception though.

Offline JDFlood

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 12:17:59 pm »
I have a Swift and have had at least 10 B-17s. I don't remember exactly how long. I am fortunate that Brooks saddles feel pretty good to me from the first use. But I would guess 20 or 30 hours of use.

Offline 22hornet

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 07:40:43 pm »
 I have had a swift for over a year on a bike I ride to work almost every day and I know it's there. Then I picked up a new b17 and swapped it out on the same bike. Day 1 the 17 is a dream and I'm a smaller rider, the swift is a good saddle but it just isn't as comfortable as the 17 for me.

Offline JDFlood

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 12:53:17 pm »
The Swift is intended to be a lighter saddle for racing. Mine has titanium rails. It is not as comfortable as a B17. But much more comfortable than the Italian racing saddles.

Offline spininin

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 05:49:41 pm »
I have a Swift and a couple of B-17's.  The B-17 is BY FAR a more comfortable saddle.  Google it and read comments before buying.

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 02:58:18 pm »
I guess it depends on what exactly is meant by "broken in". I found it pretty comfortable right out of the box, but then it seems to get more comfortable as time goes by. When does the breaking in stop and the breaking down start? Hard to say, but I would say that my saddle got progressively more comfortable throughout the first 4000 miles.

Offline paddleboy17

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 12:38:51 pm »
I guess it depends on what exactly is meant by "broken in". I found it pretty comfortable right out of the box, but then it seems to get more comfortable as time goes by. When does the breaking in stop and the breaking down start? Hard to say, but I would say that my saddle got progressively more comfortable throughout the first 4000 miles.

I don't think they ever stop breaking in... That said, what is "breaking in".   

You buy a new saddle.  Once you start riding, your pelvic bones hammer away at the saddle until dips start form that match your pelvic bones.  Your left pelvic bone is slightly bigger, so it works longer to create a bigger dip.  Those dips form because the leather stretches in response to your body's protrusions.  As you get older and your protrusions change, the leather continues to stretch and adapt to fit you.

The saddles have tension mechanisms because of stretch too, and that is still technically "breaking in".  As long as you can apply tension, the saddle is still useful.  When there is too much stretch, we retire the saddle.  Brooks is generous with their leather choices, so over stretch does not happen too often.

Danno

Offline JDFlood

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 12:58:57 pm »
Paddleboy is correct. i have retired a couple when they have stretched too far.

Offline mbattisti

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 10:00:47 pm »
for a thorough and entertaining article on brooks break-in methods, check out http://www.sheldonbrown.com/leather.html#breakingin┬