Author Topic: That go-to meal  (Read 79 times)

Offline misterflask

That go-to meal
« on: November 21, 2014, 12:32:18 pm »
Moderator - could you wait a while before moving thread to 'recipes'  The point is to get recipes from people who don't have recipes.

What I'm looking for is the meal you fall back on at the end of a long day when you want something satisfying but don't have the energy to do anything elaborate.  Ingredients would ideally be easy to find.  If I can assemble ten of these meals, I'll be set for life.

My go-to meal is:
Can of chili (ideally purchased in last ten miles of riding)
Boil in bag rice
Bag of Cheez-it crackers.
Obviously, I don't need to post directions.

For a temporary riding partner I rode with once it was:
Cous-cous cooked with bouillon
Foil-pak or can of Tuna
Again, obviously no directions required.  I did note later in the ride that there are large swaths of the US where cous-cous can not be found.

So, anyone, anyone...

Offline John Nelson

Re: That go-to meal
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 09:07:27 pm »
My go-to meal is one Subway foot-long sandwich. Ingredients: one Subway foot-long sandwich.

Offline geegee

Re: That go-to meal
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 10:47:50 pm »
I call this more like "Gas Station Store Cuisine", when there's no other place to buy food

Ramen and egg; Halfway into cooking instant ramen I break an egg or two into the pot. I like stirring it without breaking the yolk so it gets custardy while the white gets stringy n he broth.

Smoked mussel/oyster mac and cheese: make KD with 6 creamers from the coffee counter and mix in a can of smoked mussels or oysters including the oil. A can of tuna or flaked chicken works, too.

Minute Rice + Cup-A-Soup. Cook the minute rice with 50% more water than required and then dump a packet or two of cup-a-soup. Longer version, regular rice + a can of Campbell Soup