Author Topic: question on section of Southern Tier in CA  (Read 86 times)

Offline Scott8147

question on section of Southern Tier in CA
« on: Today at 12:32:55 pm »
I have been studying the Southern Tier map and realized that the section from Blythe to Brawley is 85-90 miles.  There appears to be nothing in between.  This is a major problem for me as I am not camping and was trying to limit my rides to 50-60 miles.  Does anyone have  any alternatives they can suggest?   According to Google the terrain from Blythe to Brawley appears most downhill.  Can anyone comment on this?  Maybe I could manage the distance if it was mostly downhill.

Online Nyimbo

Re: question on section of Southern Tier in CA
« Reply #1 on: Today at 03:32:08 pm »
i don't know where you are coming from the day before but if you can get to Cibola, AZ it is only 71 miles to Brwaley - there is a cheap motel there.

Offline John Nettles

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:59:27 pm »
There is the "biker host" Palo Verde Blythe (which is south of Blythe.  This is a lady who rents bunk beds out of her trailer home.  The stay is about $25/person which includes dinner and breakfast.  She is a little unique and very nice.  The day from her home to Brawley is about 63 miles which includes about 1.5 miles of very sandy road (2 out of the 4 could not ride it) to her house.

Be sure to do this day on a non-holiday weekday as the RV traffic can be really bad otherwise and there is no shoulder.  Trucks are not very fun either on the weekday but I trust truck drivers to know where the sides of their vehicle is a little better than the guy pulling the RV/Dune buggy.

The terrain until the junction with Ogliby road is large rolling hills (you do work at times).  Between Ogilby Road and Glamis is downhill then a climb followed by descent oriented rollers.  After you cross the canal, it is flat until the climb after El Centro.  If you have a headwind, the day will be tough.  The Motel 6 in Blythe is pretty nice actually.

As a side note, if you like Mexican food, be sure to stop at Garcia's Mexican Restaurant at the intersection of Hobsonway & Main in Blythe.  Some of the best tasting Mexican food I have ever had and I love Mexican.  Huge portions too.
Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!
John

Offline Scott8147

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:26:20 pm »
Thanks for the details, John.    This is sounding more and more like a section I don't care to ride.  I've looked at alternatives and the best one requires me to ride from Yuma to El Centro using I-8.  Appears about 1/2 this section of I-8 is on a Frontage Road and about 1/2 on the freeway, but there is a very wide shoulder lane.  Any thoughts on riding this section of I-8?

Offline John Nettles

« Reply #4 on: Today at 06:17:47 pm »
Other than that it is a bit boring, nothing bad with it.  I personally would rather ride I-8 to CA-98 over to Calexico then up as I personally do not like the freeway noise.  So where would you break off of the ST to get to Yuma?  Quartzsite?  Phoenix?  You could almost break off in Safford but US-191 between Safford & I-10 was a tad heavy on traffic.  Like you we had no camping gear and did do the Palo Verde to Brawley and it was a mildly tough day but doable.  Next day was a short day to El Centro so it was fine. 
John

Offline Scott8147

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:27:49 pm »
I'm looking at working south of Phoenix to Gila Bend ( Superior-Florence-Stanfield-Gila Bend ).  I would then take I-8 (or the Frontage Road where available) to Yuma.  I agree that the disadvantage of this route is the freeway noise (and safety concerns), but as I am starting this trip at the NC coast, I figure by the time I get here, I'll just want the shortest route anyway. 

Offline John Nettles

« Reply #6 on: Today at 06:33:28 pm »
You may find you want the tour to continue!  Be sure you have the old maps as the new ones, I think, have the re-route around the tunnel near Superior which would then break off to the north at Miami, AZ.  Have a great trip!
John