Author Topic: TransAm: Florence Alternate in Western OR passable in mid-May?  (Read 45 times)

Offline LongTallEandM

Can anyone fill me in on likely weather conditions in Mid-May on the Florence Alternate portion of the TransAm?  (This is in western Oregon). We don't want to cycle that far south along the coast before heading east if weather/road conditions aren't conducive to cycling.  Thanks...

Offline staehpj1

Re: TransAm: Florence Alternate in Western OR passable in mid-May?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 03:35:58 am »
Can anyone fill me in on likely weather conditions in Mid-May on the Florence Alternate portion of the TransAm?  (This is in western Oregon). We don't want to cycle that far south along the coast before heading east if weather/road conditions aren't conducive to cycling.  Thanks...
I think it would be open and fine for the alternate portion.  It might be wetter than later though.  After you rejoin the main TA you may find McKenzie Pass still closed at that time some years.  It opened May 16 last year, but is sometimes closed into July.  It does open for bikes a bit ahead of when it opens for cars.  If it is closed Santiam pass is generally open, but it would be a shame to miss McKenzie.

Offline adventurepdx

• World Traveler
  • Riding bikes in and around Portland, Oregon
Re: TransAm: Florence Alternate in Western OR passable in mid-May?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 07:34:16 pm »

Are you talking about the section between Florence and where you hook up with the main TA route in Eugene? If so, I wouldn't worry. While it is common that the Coast Range mountains get snow in the winter, it's nowhere to the level of the Cascades, and for nowhere near as long. I would only see some sort of freak, freak storm that would dump snow onto the Coast Range in Mid-May. However, it can be rainy.

Crossing the Cascades, McKenzie Pass may still be closed then, so you'd probably have to ride Santiam Pass.