Author Topic: Best foot wear for touring?  (Read 737 times)

Offline Mongoeric

Re: Best foot wear for touring?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 10:02:22 pm »
I used Crocks on my last tour. Hard to get lighter, drying not a problem, and certain not to get confused with someone who cars about fashion!

Offline dkoloko

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 01:00:01 pm »
I gave up cycling shoes when they got wet and stayed wet. Switched to bicycling sandals with clipless cleats. Only footwear.

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 01:23:29 pm »
I gave up cycling shoes when they got wet and stayed wet. Switched to bicycling sandals with clipless cleats. Only footwear.

That is a point that many people miss.  My solution isn't sandals though.  Unlike most other bike shoes I have owned, I find that my sidis soak up almost no water.  They soak little enough water that if I change socks I have dry feet, but I usually do not bother because I wear socks that aren't too bad when wet and dry quickly as long as the shoes have a lot of mesh.  So it has become an non issue for me, but I do remember having shoes that seemed to never dry.

Offline SlowAndSlower

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 06:09:45 pm »

+1 For my wider feet I can adjust the fit better. Also easy to use waterproof liners like SealSkinz.

Offline RussSeaton

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 10:02:40 pm »
Cycling shoes have been some kind of plastic for about a decade or two now.  Wet cycling shoes is not really an issue.  If you wear socks, the socks will get wet from sweat or rain.  But plastic shoes getting wet is not a problem.

Offline dkoloko

« Reply #20 on: Today at 04:42:17 pm »
Cycling shoes have been some kind of plastic for about a decade or two now.  Wet cycling shoes is not really an issue.  If you wear socks, the socks will get wet from sweat or rain.  But plastic shoes getting wet is not a problem.

I suspect this is true only for some shoes. Shoes I wore and am wearing around town are usual mix of synthetics found in low end mountain bike shoes; what I found a good choice for touring (if not get wet) and around town.