Author Topic: Recommendations for Long Sleeved Jerseys & Tights for Sun Protection  (Read 161 times)

Offline Lachlan

Ginger Scotsman with freckles planning to cycle across the USA in summer.  Would appreciate your recommendations for long-sleeved jerseys and tights that cover as much skin as possible, but that are comfortable cycling in hot weather.  Everything I've found so far seems intended for cool weather cycling.
Tapadh leat/Thanks!

Offline DanE

Re: Recommendations for Long Sleeved Jerseys & Tights for Sun Protection
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 09:43:11 am »
I think you just need a set of sun sleeves. These are just arm and leg warmer like things but designed to protect you from the sun rather than to keep you warm. All the clothing companies have them and most bike shops will carry them in sun intense areas. They can be ordered online as well. I imagine there is not much need for these in a place like Scotland so that probably isn't the place to shop for them.

Here is a link to the ones Pearl Izumi makes: http://shop.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=50&product_id=2328452&outlet=&color_code=508

Offline SlowAndSlower

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 05:34:43 pm »
There are several sources for long sleeve jerseys (REI, Performance Bike) but somewhat limited for leggings.
I like https://www.desotosport.com/category/cycling

BTW I also like the Da Brim for the helmet.

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 03:08:50 pm »
Thanks very much.  Great recommendations!

Offline Pat Lamb

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 05:55:24 pm »
FWIW, I find sun sleeves are OK up to about 85-90F.  Above that, I prefer to baste myself with sunscreen and sweat, because the sun sleeves are so much hotter.  I suppose if you're carrying adequate water, you could douse the sleeves, but even with that I reach a point that I'm already dripping sweat and can't tolerate the extra layer.  Again IME, that's usually around 95-100F with 70-90% humidity that's normal in the eastern US.