Author Topic: April in the south  (Read 389 times)

Offline Jemo27

April in the south
« on: October 05, 2014, 06:28:00 am »
Hello, I'm wondering what the weather is like in April, if I want to start cycling from Mobile heading North following the underground route?

Offline Pat Lamb

Re: April in the south
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 11:45:37 am »
Purely subjective, it's a great time to be riding a bicycle in north Alabama.

Temperatures run about 50F to 70-80F, with an occasional day into the mid-80s and even more occasional frost.  Trees are blooming and budding, dogwoods early in the month and azaleas later.  After a long winter, this is the time you'll be happy to be a bicyclist!

Then there's the weather fronts.  A line of thunderstorms seems to come through about every week, bringing rain and winds.  The wind usually lasts a couple days -- south one day, veering to west and then north the next day -- and the rain is often in the evening.  The south wind can push you to some incredible distances if you hit it just right.  The good news is you'll rarely be shut down by rain that lasts for the full day.  The bad news is that the best option is often to take shelter (motel, perhaps warmshower host) early on the day the front hits, and ride it out.

Offline Jemo27

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 06:22:23 pm »
Thanks for the information, how would September compare to April?
I'm trying to decide between starting in Mobile in April or cycling south to Mobile in September.

Offline Pat Lamb

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 06:45:33 pm »
September will be hotter and drier, at least on average.  Look for highs in the 95-85 range, with lows around 75-70, depending on the time of month.  I'd guess you'd only hit 2-3 rainy days, vs. 5-8 in April, generally with a reduced chance of severe storms.

The downside is that the scenery will be late summer to early fall; no colors to speak of, everything has a tired, dusty, tan tint.  Few flowers, except goldenrod, joe-pye and ironweed, and ragweed.

Offline Jemo27

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 09:01:21 pm »
Thanks Pat for confirming what I thought