Author Topic: timing and dates for TA  (Read 2416 times)

Offline rockyhockey87

timing and dates for TA
« on: January 25, 2009, 03:54:49 pm »
im planning a trip now, i'm intend on going cross country, by taking the transamerica route starting in virginia and then switching to the western express in colorado, this way i will be able to stay more southern. if i leave from virginia on AUGUST 15 can i make it to san francisco without hitting bad weather in the rockies and seirra nevadas. i cant leave before august 15 and am planning on hitting san fran by mid october (that gives me 60-70 days to get across the country) what do ppl think can i make it across the two big mountain ranges without getting screwed by the weather?

Offline Aloha_Cyclist

Re: timing and dates for TA
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 08:30:16 pm »
I'm traveling the same route, at the same time in the opposite direction and leaving San Diego on August 15. I'm worried about the heat in eastern California and Arizona.

I spent the last 2 weeks of October in the Sierra mountains in California this past year and the weather was perfect, shorts and t-shirts during the day and light layers at night.

During the years that I lived in Western Colorado mid-September to mid-October were always the most pleasant times of the year. Typical fall weather, cool, clear, blue skies and fall colors. Enjoy the ride and hope to see you in passing.

I'm sure the weather will not be a limiting factor, though in a mountain environment expect anything and be prepared for possible adverse conditions.

Offline RussSeaton

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 09:38:47 am »
Late September crossing the Rockies.  You will have bad weather.  Rain and/or snow and cold.  Very cold.  Be prepared.

Offline FrankMoritz

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 02:38:39 pm »
I agree that you're likely to encounter tough weather on this schedule, and not only in the Rockies in Colorado.

Utah's canyon country is at a higher elevation than most folks realize, and so are the mountain ranges in Nevada's "basin and range" country.
Adventure Cycling Tour Leader
Member, Board of Directors

Offline chrismbinder

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 12:33:40 am »
looks like this thread could be merged w/ one i started last week:
http://www.adventurecycling.org/forums/index.php?topic=5535.0
i'm planning on being in a similar situation w/ dates and locations, though probably a few days behind rocky since i'm leaving maine on 8.15