Author Topic: Pacific Coast Starting mid March  (Read 2226 times)

Offline Bill K

Pacific Coast Starting mid March
« on: February 02, 2009, 09:16:09 am »
I am planning  Pacific Coast ride. I would like to Start from BC sometime in the middle of March. Is this to early for Washington & Oregon? What kind of weather can I expect?

Offline whittierider

Re: Pacific Coast Starting mid March
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 04:18:36 pm »
That's still in the rainy season.  Even in southern California where we can go 8 beautiful months in a row without rain, I wouldn't want to plan a tour like that for March.

Offline MrBent

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 09:53:59 pm »
Yeah, super soggy.  Not my choice.  I don't know where you live, but Oregon and Washington see incredible amounts of rain, like, they've got rain forests up there ;D
Unless you like the challenge of growing mold in your shoes, I'd wait for later in the year.

Scott

Offline WesternFlyer

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 12:07:30 pm »
The old saying “March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb” often seems to hold in the Pacific Northwest, but not always.  That is the very fiercest of the winter storms tend to be over by mid March, but not the rain.  I have sea kayaked in Washington and British Columbia in late March many times and had gorgeous weather more often than not.  I would love to read a journal of someone who did a late winter/early spring ride on the PCBR, while warming myself by my fireplace.  Good luck and be prepared for the worst, but enjoy the green and verdant spring as you ride south or perhaps riding north might be the better direction that time of year.
Western Flyer

We must ride light and swift.  It is a long road ahead.

King Theoden

Offline tacomabike

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 11:40:38 pm »
Normally, July 5th to mid-Sept is the only dry period

HOWEVER, we are having a drought right now.  Normally Seattle gets 4 inches of rain in both Feb. and March.  So far in Feb. we've had only 1/2 inch.

So ... it will probably really dump in March once the jet stream returns to normal.

This March ride is notorious for getting rain and even snow (but a fun and well organized ride) >> http://www.bikesclub.org/html/mcclinchy/mcclinchy.htm

Steve in Tacoma