Author Topic: Cycling in Vancouver  (Read 2065 times)

Offline tj46220

Cycling in Vancouver
« on: February 07, 2009, 05:29:26 pm »
I plan to visit Vancouver this spring for the first time.  My initial thought is to stay in a hotel somewhere downtown then commute by bike every day to the places I want to see.  Is Vancouver bicycle friendly enough to the degree that this is doable?  Any suggestions on where to stay that would act as a good central location would be appreciated.  My thoughts are to stay in the city for 3 days then head over to Vancouver Island for 3 days.  I would rent a car to get to the Island (if need be).  Any suggestions on where to go/what to see & do on Vancouver Island would also be appreciated.

Offline geegee

Re: Cycling in Vancouver
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 08:59:21 am »
Vancouver has decent bike routes crisscrossing the city and the cycling community is very active there. I have issues with the routes switching from bike lanes to dedicated paths to shared sidewalks, which as a visitor you might find a bit confusing at times. Finding a place to stay in the area south of downtown would probably be convenient as a base for exploring.

As for ferries to Vancouver Island, the one to Nanaimo is easier to get to by bike, while the one towards Victoria involves a tunnel prohibited to bikes and you'll have to get on a bus to cross it (they have bike racks but you have to remove all your panniers). Victoria is a great place to visit on your time schedule.

Offline raybo

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 09:31:28 am »
This page has 7 links to information about bike touring in Vancouver.  Several of them describe long distance bike routes starting in Vancouver but others provide good local information.

Ray

Visit the on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com

Offline tj46220

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 07:51:42 am »
Thanks for your responses, this is helpful......Jeff

Offline ronrich

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 10:07:08 pm »
Thanks for your responses, this is helpful......Jeff