Bicycle Travel > Urban Cycling

Walmart Electric Bicycle Affordable To The Masses

(1/4) > >>

Tourista829:
Wow another shock when I went to Walmart, besides carrying 700c tire tubs, they had a brand new electric bicycle. Price was 399.99 and it came with one battery attached like a rear pannier with the option of purchasing an attaching a second one. Now I realize this is Walmart, but it looked pretty sturdy, top speed 18 mph and with two batteries a range close to 40 miles. Had a seven speed rear derailleur and a single speed crank. It didn't appear heavy in the rear. The motor was like the Curie electric motor. I will try it out next time I am there. If Walmart is offering an electric bicycle, at a truly affordable price (I know some will say stay away from it) to me this is a big thing and makes a statement that just maybe, American attitudes are beginning to change. This was in Tampa, Florida not one of the more bike friendly areas of the country.

johnsondasw:
Very interesting.  How does that 40 mile range work? Is that with no pedalling, or some "average amont of pedalling or what?  Any other technical specifics you picked up?

Tourista829:
Believe it or not, no peddling, but you have to have two batteries. Obviously, if you peddle some it may even increase the range. The key here is if you peddle, from a stop and then use the motor or you could do the opposite and use the motor to bring you up to speed. I like the trottle, it has settings for different types of riding. It is also a twist trottle, you do not want a thumb one if you want to keep your thumb. It did say peak power 400 or 450 watts. Charging looked easy. I am not sure what type of battery it was. For $400 it certainly wasn't lithium ion. On the trottle you could tell the state of discharge. The rear end with one battery didn't feel too heavy.

I converted a Breezer Uptown, to a Wilderness Energy 600 watt electric motor, twist trottle, controller, and battery. When it ran it ran great, but there were several problems with it. They battery pack I had, was too heavy for the rear wheel and I got more flat tires than I should have. When it was down, only the dealer could fix it. He was 70 miles away. Finally the magnets went in the motor and other problems, he couldn't get the parts, so I sold it back to him. However, I really enjoyed it, when it worked.

I am on a project down in Sarasota, Florida and there is a large Amish community and I see alot of people riding electric two and three wheel bicycles. The Amish won't ride in cars but I guess an electric bicycle is ok. Interesting

RussSeaton:

--- Quote from: Tourista829 on March 21, 2009, 07:23:17 am ---I am on a project down in Sarasota, Florida and there is a large Amish community and I see alot of people riding electric two and three wheel bicycles. The Amish won't ride in cars but I guess an electric bicycle is ok. Interesting

--- End quote ---

No no.  The Amish won't own a car.  Riding in a car owned by someone else is perfectly acceptable.  This using of your neighbor's resources and generosity can lead to bad feelings.

whittierider:

--- Quote ---I'm thinking about getting one next year when I start my work placement for college. Either that electric bike, or an electric scooter.
--- End quote ---

It might be more appropriate for a senior citizen.  I'm almost 50 and my average speed on a 40-mile ride is higher than the electric bike's top speed, even if I'm not going hard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version