Author Topic: Florida Connector Hotel recommendations  (Read 2751 times)

Offline John Nettles

Florida Connector Hotel recommendations
« on: March 20, 2009, 11:43:43 am »
We are getting ready to depart on a hotel-based (wife doesn't want to camp!) Florida Connector tour.  I have read about some conflicting hotel reports in a few towns and was wondering if anyone happened to have recommendation based on first hand knowledge (at least seen if they look okay as riding by) of motels/hotels/B&Bs in Port Charlotte, Wachula, Haines City, and Deland, Florida.

We don't need a Ritz-Carlton but don't want a dump either.

Thanks!
Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!
John

Offline Westinghouse

Re: Florida Connector Hotel recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 10:29:38 pm »
If you pass through Perry, Florida there was a small motel at the south extreme end of the city advertising rooms for twenty dollars a day. The Ritz it definitely was not. I never used it. I would not go all that way just to check it out because it looked like one of thiose places that people used as a sort of permanent residence. You should find tne usual chain motels, and others that are privately owned. Many motels seem to be run by people from Asia---India, Bangladesh, etc. If you use these, prepare for the smell of curry when you go into the front office. Usually their kids come out to see the new prospective tenant.

I saw quite a few journals on CGOAB.com with references to motels used in Florida. Sorry, I don't have a lot of first-hand experience with motels in Florida, except to say winter is tourist season, and consequently motel prices tend to rise significantly nduring this period.

Offline Tourista829

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 07:04:15 am »
I have taken different parts of the Florida Connector. I live in Tampa but travel through Wachula Port Charlotte. May I ask you a few questions first. Are you doing the entire route? How many miles a day are you riding? Do you only want hotels and BB in the towns you mentioned? Do you want to consider any churches? One alternative is to ride to Ft. Myers/Naples and to take the Ferry to Key West. Finding places to stay in the Glades may be tough. Pre planning is advisable if you do not have a camper with you. I think I can help you.

Offline John Nettles

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 08:16:57 am »
We are going from Key Largo to Key West then ferry to Ft. Myers Beach then ride to St. Augustine following the route mostly.  We are bringing no camping gear so we must be motel/hotel/B&B/warmshowers based.  I normally just camp but the wife prefers a bed (can't blame her!).  Hope this helps but I will be on the road soon. 
Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!
John

Offline litespeed

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 06:30:07 pm »
You shouldn't have any trouble finding motels on your route. It gets a bit more difficult on weekends and even more so on holidays. In such cases you might call ahead and/or stop earlier. In my experience an Indian owned motel is usually 20-25% cheaper, probably because it's all or partly a family operation. I personally love to see an Indian face behind the counter. I also prefer a motel with an eating place close by or even in the building. Once I get off the bike for the day I don't want to get back on it.

Be careful you don't get stuck at nightfall is some small town with a single dumpy or overpriced motel.

Offline Tourista829

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 07:59:27 pm »
John, Did you ever take your trip from Largo to Key West and from Ft. Myers to St. Augustine. How did it go and would love to hear details. You were smart to go before the heat and t-storms. Bob