U.S. Bicycle Route System > Be A Volunteer and Build Alliances

Intro Thread

(1/4) > >>

jsieber:
This thread is for people to introduce themselves and voice their interest in the establishment of a U.S. Bicycle Route System (USBRS) – a network of bicycle routes that connect urban, suburban, and rural communities across the nation (and some day the continent). This forum is open to Adventure Cycling members and non-members alike. Background and news about the USBRS is posted at http://www.adventurecycling.org/usbrs.

TRANSPORTATION ACRONYMS
AASHTO American Association of State Highway & Transportation Officials;
DOT Department of Transportation;
ADT Average Daily Traffic;
FHWA Federal Highway Administration;
MPO Metropolitan Planning Organization;
MTA Metropolitan Transportation Authority;
MUTCD Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices;
NPTS National Personal Transportation Survey;
RTP Regional Transportation Plan;
SAFETEA-LU Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users;
SR2S Safe Routes to School;
TCGD Technical Committee on Geometric Design (responsible for “AASHTO Guide for the Development of Bicycle Facilities);
USDOT United States Department of Transportation.

GSullivan:
Let me introduce myself, I'm Ginny Sullivan, the routes coordinator at Adventure Cycling Association. I’ve been working as staff support to the USBRS project since 2005. I am looking forward to getting to know people and groups who have great ideas on how to make the USBRS the best interstate bike route system in the world. Feel free to post maps, photos, and join in any of the discussion threads. I’ll be sharing this information with the lead agency/organization (most likely your state DOT and/or bike advocacy group) that will apply for national designation. This is our way of making sure your voice is heard.
- All the best, Ginny

cgreene:
Hi everyone, I'm Casey, a cartographer here at Adventure Cycling Association. For about a year now I've been handling the mapping, including the Corridor plan, for the United States Bicycle Route System. If anyone has any suggestions or comments on the routes, now is definitely the time to let your voice be heard.

cheers :-)
-Casey Greene

jl_longstaff:
I live in Ohio and would be interested in helping establish routes across and around the state. By the way, the Lincoln Highway, old route 30, has been replaced by a new 4 lane across much of the state.  The Lincoln is now one of the best routes across Ohio. I've ridden part of it and wouldn"t mind riding the rest of it if it would be of interest to you.

bobclay99:
I am very interested in the Route 66 Corridor especially in Illinois.  There is a route laid out already with web map and segment by segment identification.  It seems to be an ideal route to obtain the US identification.  Their key requirement seems to be the link of the route between 2 states.  I think that the route already shows the link over the Chain of Rocks Bridge over the Missisippi River between Illinois & Missouri.  I think it would be great to get the route designated.  We could start signing some parts that are already on trails to build support for completing the route.  Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Bob Clay

--- Quote from: jsieber on March 25, 2009, 03:26:08 pm ---This thread is for people to introduce themselves and voice their interest in the establishment of a U.S. Bicycle Route System (USBRS) – a network of bicycle routes that connect urban, suburban, and rural communities across the nation (and some day the continent). This forum is open to Adventure Cycling members and non-members alike. Background and news about the USBRS is posted at http://www.adventurecycling.org/usbrs.

TRANSPORTATION ACRONYMS
AASHTO American Association of State Highway & Transportation Officials;
DOT Department of Transportation;
ADT Average Daily Traffic;
FHWA Federal Highway Administration;
MPO Metropolitan Planning Organization;
MTA Metropolitan Transportation Authority;
MUTCD Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices;
NPTS National Personal Transportation Survey;
RTP Regional Transportation Plan;
SAFETEA-LU Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users;
SR2S Safe Routes to School;
TCGD Technical Committee on Geometric Design (responsible for “AASHTO Guide for the Development of Bicycle Facilities);
USDOT United States Department of Transportation.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version