Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 23688 times)

Online jsieber

Intro Thread
« on: March 25, 2009, 06:26:08 pm »
This thread is for people to introduce themselves and voice their interest in the establishment of a U.S. Bicycle Route System (USBRS) – a network of bicycle routes that connect urban, suburban, and rural communities across the nation (and some day the continent). This forum is open to Adventure Cycling members and non-members alike. Background and news about the USBRS is posted at http://www.adventurecycling.org/usbrs.

TRANSPORTATION ACRONYMS
AASHTO American Association of State Highway & Transportation Officials;
DOT Department of Transportation;
ADT Average Daily Traffic;
FHWA Federal Highway Administration;
MPO Metropolitan Planning Organization;
MTA Metropolitan Transportation Authority;
MUTCD Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices;
NPTS National Personal Transportation Survey;
RTP Regional Transportation Plan;
SAFETEA-LU Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users;
SR2S Safe Routes to School;
TCGD Technical Committee on Geometric Design (responsible for “AASHTO Guide for the Development of Bicycle Facilities);
USDOT United States Department of Transportation.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 06:28:25 pm by jsieber »

Offline GSullivan

Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 07:05:08 pm »
Let me introduce myself, I'm Ginny Sullivan, the routes coordinator at Adventure Cycling Association. I’ve been working as staff support to the USBRS project since 2005. I am looking forward to getting to know people and groups who have great ideas on how to make the USBRS the best interstate bike route system in the world. Feel free to post maps, photos, and join in any of the discussion threads. I’ll be sharing this information with the lead agency/organization (most likely your state DOT and/or bike advocacy group) that will apply for national designation. This is our way of making sure your voice is heard.
- All the best, Ginny
Ginny Sullivan

Offline cgreene

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 03:12:01 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm Casey, a cartographer here at Adventure Cycling Association. For about a year now I've been handling the mapping, including the Corridor plan, for the United States Bicycle Route System. If anyone has any suggestions or comments on the routes, now is definitely the time to let your voice be heard.

cheers :-)
-Casey Greene
Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association

Offline jl_longstaff

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 09:01:51 pm »
I live in Ohio and would be interested in helping establish routes across and around the state. By the way, the Lincoln Highway, old route 30, has been replaced by a new 4 lane across much of the state.  The Lincoln is now one of the best routes across Ohio. I've ridden part of it and wouldn"t mind riding the rest of it if it would be of interest to you.

Offline bobclay99

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 08:11:48 pm »
I am very interested in the Route 66 Corridor especially in Illinois.  There is a route laid out already with web map and segment by segment identification.  It seems to be an ideal route to obtain the US identification.  Their key requirement seems to be the link of the route between 2 states.  I think that the route already shows the link over the Chain of Rocks Bridge over the Missisippi River between Illinois & Missouri.  I think it would be great to get the route designated.  We could start signing some parts that are already on trails to build support for completing the route.  Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Bob Clay

This thread is for people to introduce themselves and voice their interest in the establishment of a U.S. Bicycle Route System (USBRS) – a network of bicycle routes that connect urban, suburban, and rural communities across the nation (and some day the continent). This forum is open to Adventure Cycling members and non-members alike. Background and news about the USBRS is posted at http://www.adventurecycling.org/usbrs.

TRANSPORTATION ACRONYMS
AASHTO American Association of State Highway & Transportation Officials;
DOT Department of Transportation;
ADT Average Daily Traffic;
FHWA Federal Highway Administration;
MPO Metropolitan Planning Organization;
MTA Metropolitan Transportation Authority;
MUTCD Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices;
NPTS National Personal Transportation Survey;
RTP Regional Transportation Plan;
SAFETEA-LU Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users;
SR2S Safe Routes to School;
TCGD Technical Committee on Geometric Design (responsible for “AASHTO Guide for the Development of Bicycle Facilities);
USDOT United States Department of Transportation.

Offline GSullivan

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 06:57:42 pm »
Hi Ohio cyclist and Mr. Clay too!

Thanks for your suggestions and offer for help. We have been looking into the Lincoln Highway as a possible route, however, the folks in Northern Indiana are quite concerned about the route through their region and so far no alternative routes have been suggested. I will try and get them to post a comment about their concerns.

As for Route 66, yes, we'd like to see this corridor developed into a route, although there have been similar concerns voiced.

Communicate your interest regarding these routes to your state bike/ped coordinator. Let him/her know that these would be a great cultural and historic routes. You can access the contact information for all the state bike/peds from our Cyclist's Yellow Pages or from the USBRS webpages www.adventurecycling.org/usbrs look at the outside links on the bottom half, right side of the page.

I'll try to get you more information about these possibilities soon! Thanks. Ginny
Ginny Sullivan

Offline paddleboy17

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 11:48:33 am »
Hi there.  I live in Michigan (that state just above Ohio)  :).

So of course I am interested in all things Michigan.  We see ourselves as a gateway to Canada (and Ohio).

There is lots of great riding here, and there is more to the state than Detroit.
Danno

Offline GSullivan

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 06:20:50 pm »
You have some great advocates in Michigan and we are going to start working on USBR in your state very soon!
Ginny Sullivan

Offline cdavey

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 11:23:04 pm »
Suggestion for Route 15 through Pennsylvania --

I would suggest serious consideration be given to using the existing Bike Route G (or most of it) already laid out and in place by PennDOT. I rode this as part of a bike tour I did in 2007. It meets the stated criteria of being near an interstate for much of its distance. It is well thought out. It manages to get through the Appalachians of Central Pennsylvanis with only 4-6 big hills, though the individual climbs are probably somewhat more daunting going north to south. The worst hill at Madisonburg can be circumvented by taking off the established route at Boalsburg, going around State College on its east side through Lemont, then PA150 to Bellefonte and PA550 east back to Route G at Nttany. Otherwise the route has some rollers on both sides of Bedford but other grades are long 2% uphills through stream valleys. It incorporates two rail trails - the Lower trail and the entireity of the Pine Creek trail through the Pine Creek gorge. Roads are largely low traffic volume, higher volume areas have decent to excellent shoulders (the only exception being a 1 1/2 mile stretch on PA 36/164 west of Roaring Spring which is not for the faint of heart). Amenities are plentiful. For those who want motel accomodations, large towns generally are spaced a day's ride of 50-60 miles apart. There are two warmshowers hosts in Martinsburg and State College, though I did not use either as I didn't know about the warmshowers site until the end of the ride. My start point was Cumberland, MD, end point was Corning, NY. Both points appear to tie into other proposed routes of the USBRS. The scenery is wonderful. All in all, Route G does a good job of balancing all the considerations that go into planning a bike route -- what more could you ask for?? It was my favorite part of the trip, and I'd go back and do it again.

Offline GSullivan

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 06:54:08 pm »
What an excellent testimonial for PA's Route G. I am happy to report that BikePA established that statewide route an we'd like to take advantage of those already established opportunities as much as possible. I will point your post out to the PA DOT and the Bike PA folks - including our own John Schubert.
Ginny Sullivan

Offline mgwhiteley

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 12:23:30 pm »
My name is Mike Whiteley,
I live in eastern Colorado in Longmont about 30 miles north of denver. I would be interested in helping with what ever I can. I am outings chair for Boulder group of the Sierra Club so have access to quite a few volunteers.
Thanks

Offline Parkrider

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 12:37:34 pm »
Hi, I'm Barry Childress and I am heavily involved with cycling in Central Maryland. I am also a member of the local MPO BPAG.

I would also like to highlight one of my friends work on Bikely http://www.bikely.com/listpaths/by/WymnPrkr31 which has a lot of nice touring routes and cue sheets all around Maryland.

I look forward to working with you.
-=Barry=-

· · ·o
· · /L
=()>()

Offline GSullivan

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 05:48:24 pm »
Thanks again for the volunteer offers. I am gearing up to conduct a quick survey of each state's interest in the US bike route project. I know Maryland and Colorado, Michigan, Maine, New Hampshire, Florida, Wyoming, New Mexico and California are all interested. I'm sure I am missing a few too. As I call, I will be directing the DOT staff to check out this part of our website to get volunteers. If they are already working with a group, I will post who each state is working with here on the forums so you can all contact them directly with your offers to help. This is a great start and I wanted to thank you all. It will be a process (50 is a lot of states to call on!) so be patient and keep posting!
Ginny Sullivan

Offline BIGRIDE

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 02:35:39 pm »
my name is Lee and I live in N.E. Ohio (Painesville) and I would be honored to help
I'm currently medically retired and spend allot of time at home
you can contact me at lee@mybigride09.com
this September I will be riding for veteran issues.    from Cleveland, Ohio to Dallas, Texas Please support me as I make this journey.
Thank you, BIGRIDE

Offline RCMoeur

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 12:32:16 am »
I'm the chair of the AASHTO Task Force on US Bicycle Routes. I've had the pleasure of working with ACA on this issue since 2003, and with Ginny for much of that time (thanks!)

I'm the Traffic Design Manager for the Northern Region of the Arizona Department of Transportation. I serve on the AASHTO Subcommittee on Traffic Engineering, and am a liaison to the AASHTO Technical Committee on Nonmotorized Transportation. I am the chair of the Bicycle Technical Committee of the National Committee on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (NCUTCD - you missed this one  ;)

I'm also a life member of the Adventure Cycling Association, a life member of the League of American Bicyclists, and a League Cycling Instructor.

I haven't done too many multi-day tours, but I have quite a few long distance rides under the wheels.

For more about my bike-related stuff, see http://www.richardcmoeur.com/bikestuf.html

--
Richard C. Moeur, PE