Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 24164 times)

Offline John Nettles

Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 02:13:39 pm »
If anyone has any suggestions or comments on the routes, now is definitely the time to let your voice be heard.

I would really like it if routes were developed connecting the various map section ending points so that multiple "new" circular routes could be created.  For instance, creating a route to connect Council Bluffs, IA to Muscatine, IA would create at minimum two large loops and several others could be enlarged upon this.  A lot of people can only take off for two weeks and would like to get back to the starting point for transportation logistics.

I am not advocating NOT doing the USBRS also, but to develop the connecting routes simultaneously.

Thanks!

John Nettles
Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!
John

Offline LpAngelRob

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 02:46:09 am »
I'm Robert Guico. I guess I should have posted here before my post on the other board, but that's okay.

I'm just another bicycle commuter, except out in the western suburbs of Chicago, which is pretty rare. I've been able to see bicyclists of all ages flock to every set of limestone and asphalt path I've ridden on this month, and so I'm excited that something like the U.S. Bicycle Route System would draw people's attention to a lesser-polluting, circulatory-system-friendly method of seeing the country.

So here's a question: as a "private citizen", what is expected of us? Raise awareness with state and county boards? And advocacy groups? Support and update existing efforts to map appropriate cycling routes, U.S. Bike Route or not? Map "fantasy routes" on online mapping sites, and share those?  :-)

-Rob

Offline GSullivan

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 05:07:24 pm »
Hi Rob,
The best way to help get the USBRS established is to work with the group that ends up being the lead organization for developing the routes. In Illinois case, I am hoping that IL DOT decides that these bike routes are a worth while investment and start organizing an effort to work on them. I have been in contact with the DOT and the League of IL Bicyclists. I think there will be a time in the near future when they might be able to work together. If you could contact LIB and let them know you'd be willing to help advocate for bicycling in your county and city board, I think that would benefit both cycling in general and the USBRS in the long term. Ed Brumley is your man.

Thanks. Great to hear you're a willing voice.
Ginny Sullivan

Offline davidb

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009, 11:22:10 am »
Hello!

I'm David Brownell, here in Utah, and I'm interested in the USBRS partly because I love bike touring and the USBRS might help open the minds of people that there is another way to get around.  I'm a year-round bike commuter and have done some tours in Utah and surrounding states.

Out here in the mountain west we have some interesting challenges: we have condensed urban/suburban areas at one end of the cycling spectrum and miles of "extreme rural" at the other.  Here in Utah we have two main north/south routes:  I-15 and US-89.  (Yes, we can ride on freeway shoulders when its the only route between towns.)  Similarly, the east/west routes are I-80 and US-6/50.  Fortunately, along the urban "Wasatch Front" (Ogden to Provo), there are many decent surface streets we can ride without tons of traffic to get from town to town.

I'd love to hear the best ways a citizen can advocate the USBRS (and biking in general) here is Utah.  To start, I've contacted our state Bike/Pedestrian coordinator and state Tourism Director telling them of my support for the system.  I've also contacted our state bicycle advocacy group.

Any other suggestions and ideas would be welcome!

David B

Offline pvanh10484

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 08:16:33 pm »
I live in Penna.// have ridden parts of the Pa Bicycle Route S  east and west.  What help is needed for the USBRS