Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 6568 times)

Offline jsieber

Intro Thread
« on: March 25, 2009, 06:28:59 pm »
This thread is for people to introduce themselves and voice their interest in the establishment of a U.S. Bicycle Route System (USBRS) – a network of bicycle routes that connect urban, suburban, and rural communities across the nation (and some day the continent). This forum is open to Adventure Cycling members and non-members alike. Background and news about the USBRS is posted at http://www.adventurecycling.org/usbrs.

TRANSPORTATION ACRONYMS
AASHTO American Association of State Highway & Transportation Officials;
DOT Department of Transportation;
ADT Average Daily Traffic;
FHWA Federal Highway Administration;
MPO Metropolitan Planning Organization;
MTA Metropolitan Transportation Authority;
MUTCD Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices;
NPTS National Personal Transportation Survey;
RTP Regional Transportation Plan;
SAFETEA-LU Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users;
SR2S Safe Routes to School;
TCGD Technical Committee on Geometric Design (responsible for “AASHTO Guide for the Development of Bicycle Facilities);
USDOT United States Department of Transportation.

Offline GSullivan

Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 07:05:52 pm »
Let me introduce myself, I'm Ginny Sullivan, the routes coordinator at Adventure Cycling Association. I’ve been working as staff support to the USBRS project since 2005. I am looking forward to getting to know people and groups who have great ideas on how to make the USBRS the best interstate bike route system in the world. Feel free to post maps, photos, and join in any of the discussion threads. I’ll be sharing this information with the lead agency/organization (most likely your state DOT and/or bike advocacy group) that will apply for national designation. This is our way of making sure your voice is heard.
- All the best, Ginny
Ginny Sullivan

Offline Todd Scott

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 02:00:21 pm »
My name is Todd Scott and I'm the Detroit Greenways Coordinator for the Michigan Trails & Greenways Alliance.  I'm enthused to work with Ginny as well as MDOT on establishing USBRS routes through Metro Detroit. Fortunately there is substantial overlap between our current efforts and the potential routing.  I'll also note that we are also working with the Windsor Bicycle Committee on establishing improve bicycling options for those wanting to cross the Detroit River into Canada.

Our USBRS and river crossing efforts also overlap with work on establishing an underground railroad cycling spur route.

www.michigantrails.org
todd .at. michigantrails .dot. org

Offline lscheetz

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 03:36:36 pm »
Hello

I live in Claremont in the eastern portion of the Los Angeles Basin.  I think I can recruit bicycle clubs from this area to evaluate and test ride specific routes especially from Barstow to chosen points in the LA basin.  I have studied some maps and I think I have a pretty good route from Barstow to Devore, just above San Bernardino.  However we need to find someone to ride it as proof that it works.  Now I have some questions about which paths to take across the basin.  My current thinking is to post routes to Pasadena, to the northern part of the San Gabriel River Trail and to south San Bernardino at the eastern portion of the Santa Ana River Trail.

Possibly this approach, recruiting bicycle clubs to evaluate routes, would work in other areas.  The web site bikely.com may provide some help, although I have found those routes of limited value in the LA area.

Larry Scheetz