Author Topic: Sierra Cascade Route  (Read 6746 times)

Offline staehpj1

Sierra Cascade Route
« on: May 07, 2009, 09:20:30 am »
Anyone know how much we can count on the maps for the Sierra Cascade Route being available before the Summer of 2010?  I am toying with the notion of doing a loop including it and the Pacific Coast route at that time.

I would be interested in any specific or general info about the route that anyone cares to share.

Offline JimF

Re: Sierra Cascade Route
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 09:57:47 am »
Did you contact the ACA in Missoula directly? My guess is that they would have the route out before the cycling season begins next year. When you get a reply, please post. From the description in their fund-raiser letter earlier this year, it sure looks like a very interesting route.

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 10:05:28 am »
No I didn't but I think their web page says winter of 2009-2010 for it to be available.  I wondered how reliable they typically were in that regard.

I will email them and report back.

Offline JMilyko

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 11:12:13 am »
Barring unforeseen circumstances, we will have the entire Sierra Cascades Bicycle Route published by late winter or early spring of 2010. Though these are the first maps we have generated from the ground up using GIS technology, we don't see any reason we can't meet this timeframe. So far, things are moving along as expected. *fingers crossed*

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 02:16:53 pm »
Barring unforeseen circumstances, we will have the entire Sierra Cascades Bicycle Route published by late winter or early spring of 2010. Though these are the first maps we have generated from the ground up using GIS technology, we don't see any reason we can't meet this timeframe. So far, things are moving along as expected. *fingers crossed*

.Jennifer.

Jennifer, any further word on whether you are on schedule?

Offline JimF

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 02:37:11 pm »
My guess is, based on a message from ACA's mapping group, they will have it out on or about March 1. If you can locate a copy  of Bil Paul's "The Pacific Crest Bicycle Trail," it covers most of the route. (it's out of print (published in 1990); I found a used copy through Amazon). A couple of TA riders and me are considering the route for this summer. Great scenic (and challenging) route.

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 03:16:05 pm »
My guess is, based on a message from ACA's mapping group, they will have it out on or about March 1. If you can locate a copy  of Bil Paul's "The Pacific Crest Bicycle Trail," it covers most of the route. (it's out of print (published in 1990); I found a used copy through Amazon). A couple of TA riders and me are considering the route for this summer. Great scenic (and challenging) route.
Thanks for the tip on the Bil Paul book.  I too am a TA rider thinking seriously of doing this trip as my 2010 tour.  It sounds like a great route.  Any idea just how challenging it is?

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 09:17:21 am »
Oh by the way, I ordered the book.  In the mean time, what does the books say about best time of year and direction of travel for this route?

Offline JimF

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 01:14:10 pm »
Given the elevations, mid-summer appears best. Wind rose data suggests north to south.

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 09:48:50 am »
Given the elevations, mid-summer appears best. Wind rose data suggests north to south.
Thanks, I kind of figured that was likely to be the case.  It is good to have some verification though.

I am anxiously awaiting the release of the maps and the arrival of the book.

Offline John Nettles

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 02:50:31 am »
I wonder if they will be bring out an updated book to go with it, i.e. like what they did with the Lewis & Clark and Great Divide routes.  Might be nice.
Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!
John

Offline JMilyko

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 09:12:16 am »
Hi all,

Just back from a few days off. The current target date for the Sierra Cascades Bicycle Route maps to be available for purchase is the first week of April. This project is our main priority right now. I am working on a webpage with more information about the route. I will post here to let you know when that is up.

Regarding Bil Paul's book, though the route is based on a lot of his routing, it is not always the same. As far as I know, Bil is not planning to update/reprint the book.

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
www.adventurecycling.org

Offline JimF

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 10:47:37 am »
Hi all,

Just back from a few days off. The current target date for the Sierra Cascades Bicycle Route maps to be available for purchase is the first week of April. This project is our main priority right now. I am working on a webpage with more information about the route. I will post here to let you know when that is up.

Regarding Bil Paul's book, though the route is based on a lot of his routing, it is not always the same. As far as I know, Bil is not planning to update/reprint the book.

.Jennifer.

Thanks for the update, Jennifer. A web page for information sounds good. I'd just add, again, that the Bil Paul book is only a basis for the route and, given its publish date of 1990, dated. It does wet the appetite about the route, however.

Offline tonythomson

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 01:39:10 pm »
Apologies for jumping in like this but can someone tell me where the Sierra Cascades are? Kinda got the idea it might be  close to the Atlantic coast routes and could spice it up a bit.  Or am I being an ignorant Brit about USA geography.  Tried looking on Google Earth but nothing comes up.

Thanks Tony
Just starting to record my trips  www.tonystravels.com

Offline JMilyko

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 01:46:14 pm »
Apologies for jumping in like this but can someone tell me where the Sierra Cascades are? Kinda got the idea it might be  close to the Atlantic coast routes and could spice it up a bit.  Or am I being an ignorant Brit about USA geography.  Tried looking on Google Earth but nothing comes up.

Thanks Tony

Sorry if this disappoints you Tony, however, Sierra Cascades refers to the Cascade Mountains and the Sierra Nevada, along the western perimeter of the US (though inland, not coastal US). You can get a better idea if you download our Route Network Map (http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/RouteNetwork.pdf) and see generally where the route is located.

I hope this helps.

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
www.adventurecycling.org