Author Topic: Southern IL Route  (Read 5662 times)

Offline schaser1

Southern IL Route
« on: April 16, 2009, 07:12:32 pm »
I want to make bicyclists aware of a possible new Route being worked on by the communities of Southern Illinois.  This route would extend from the MetroEast area across from St. Louis and start on Illinois 161 going through the communities of New Baden, Germantown, Hoffman, Centralia  then going across Illinois 37 through the rural area of the villages of Johnsonville, Cisne, Mt. Erie, West Salem and going toward Mt. Carmel.  This route would link up to Louisville, Ky.  There is a state Park on this route.  Also some wineries nearby the route.  We are just starting but need encouragement and feedback.  We would like to welcome bicyclists from all over the U.S.  We would like any ideas.

Offline LpAngelRob

Re: Southern IL Route
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 11:52:28 am »
schaser,

I am putting together a Google Maps corridor listing for Illinois, and I'm pretty sure this planned route lies within a corridor from St. Louis to Evansville. I do not have any contacts south of the Chicago metro area (though I hope to change that soon), but would you be willing to document the planned route (and alternatives) within the corridor on the shared map? Send me a private message with your email address if you're interested.

The trick with documenting the route is that if it's shown to external parties, the fact it's proposed instead of final is important. But something even semi-concrete would be a good idea.

Thanks,
Rob
Carol Stream, IL

Offline tonythomson

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 01:34:04 pm »
Hi Schaser, hope you don't mind that I'm from UK but a lot of long distant cyclists are from out of country.  ;) I'm about to embark on my 3rd cross country ride and will be heading up sort of that way so also would be interested in any planned routes as makes life a bit easier for me.  Or any info in that area.

Many thanks
Just starting to record my trips  www.tonystravels.com

Offline schaser1

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 03:09:04 pm »
Would like to receive e-mails from anyone interested in the route at schaser1@yahoo.com.  Also if you go to proposed routed from St.Louis to Louisville there is information in that forum as well.

Offline GSullivan

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 01:49:01 pm »
Please join us for a US Bicycle Route System Regional Meeting on October 28 in Kalamazoo, MI. If you can't attend, we can send you conference call information.

This is a post-conference workshop in conjunction with the Mid America Trails and Greenways Conference (Oct25-27). You can find registration for the session on the conference brochure http://www.michigantrails.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/matag_web_brochure3.pdf

The morning session will be called "Connecting Mid America with Trails and Greenways" and will go from 9-12 noon. A highlight for this morning session will be a presentation by the Michigan Assistant Attorney General, Ron Emery and Bike/Ped Coordinator, Josh DeBruyn on debunking the myths associated with on-road bicycle route designations (addressing liability concerns that agencies and trail managers might have). This is going to be an incredibly informative!

The afternoon session, 1pm - 3pm, will focus on USBRS route/trail development in the mid American states. Illinois trail administrators are invited to this session and we are trying to get the word out to other agencies and organizations.

Please pass this invitation along to anyone you think should be there. Information will be posted at www.adventurecycling.org/usbrs or contact me for a pdf flyer or postcard invitation to pass along. You can reach me at gsullivan - at - adventurecycling.org

Thanks!
Ginny Sullivan