Author Topic: Any existing corridors mapped?  (Read 2806 times)

Offline John Nettles

Any existing corridors mapped?
« on: May 20, 2009, 02:02:55 pm »
Hello,

I was looking at the U.S. Bicycle Route System route map and wondered if Corridors 37, 55, 66, 80 or 84 are actually “mapped”, even if in draft or cue sheet form only?

During the past two years I have been developing two multi-state bike routes that connect various ACA map ending towns.  The routes fairly closely track all or parts of these corridors.

One is from Brownsville, TX/Mexico border north to Canada that is fairly close to Route 55.  The route I have goes through Navasota, TX; Girard, KS; Atchison, KS; Council Bluffs, IA; and Fargo, ND to connect to various ACA route terminus points.

The other route goes from Las Cruces, NM to Girard, KS.

I have been contacting towns along the way verifying services, reviewing traffic counts to ensure low-traffic roads and/or shoulder suitability, etc. and if a similar route has been already developed (even initially) but not “mapped” for development by some official agency, I would like to know so I don’t duplicate the effort ACA/ASHTO is doing as you know it is a long and arduous process.

As a side note, if you need/want a “local” aide to Oklahoma, I would be happy to help.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

John Nettles
Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!
John