Author Topic: Gps route different to aca maps?  (Read 5027 times)

Offline Shane

Gps route different to aca maps?
« on: June 04, 2009, 04:14:08 pm »
Hi folks,

I've just recieved the first 3 parts of the Transam maps. And now I've also downloaded the GPs waypoints, but it seems that the gps route between Florence and Eugene is largly diffrent to the map. So not only have I bought a map for only one leg but it also differs from the Gps information.

Is this the same for other parts of the route? if so then I need to decide which item to leave at home if only 1 of them is accurate......

Thanks for the reactions

Shane

www.coast2coast.tk

Offline JimF

Re: Gps route different to aca maps?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 10:19:04 am »
Shane:
Run a search in the forum for "ptaylor" and I think you'll find your answer. Paul has an informative piece at http://paultaylor883.googlepages.com/home. Good riding.

Offline JMilyko

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 03:17:45 pm »
Hi Shane,

I've just recieved the first 3 parts of the Transam maps. And now I've also downloaded the GPs waypoints, but it seems that the gps route between Florence and Eugene is largly diffrent to the map. So not only have I bought a map for only one leg but it also differs from the Gps information.

The Florence to Eugene section of the TransAm is what we call an Alternate, rather than the Main Route. This information is also included in the GPS waypoints you downloaded. The waypoints and route for the alternate begin with J3. Routing between Florence and Eugene has been stable for a few years now so the data and the maps should match each other.

I hope this helps, (unless, of course, I've completely misunderstood your issue, let me know if you need something further)
.Jenn.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 03:29:22 pm by JMilyko »
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline Shane

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 10:03:53 am »
Thanks for the reply's but Im affraid you've missed my point :)

The map route is as follows : Florence to Noti along the 126, then via Crow to Eugene.
The Gps route is as follows : Florence to Mapelton along the 126, then along the 36 via Fern Ridge lake to Eugene.

So my question is does this happen on other parts of the route, is so then I dont need to buy maps 4-12 (only have 1-3 so far), I'll just stick to the Gps if the two contradict each other anyway.

Thanks

Shane

Offline JMilyko

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 11:37:55 am »
The map route is as follows : Florence to Noti along the 126, then via Crow to Eugene.
The Gps route is as follows : Florence to Mapelton along the 126, then along the 36 via Fern Ridge lake to Eugene.

Aha, I see what happened. It would appear that you have an older version of the map. The GPS routing is the current routing for the BC-1511-08 version map. The TAAboutV00x document that came with your GPS download will tell you what version of the maps that the files are keyed to.

.Jenn.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
www.adventurecycling.org

Offline Shane

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 05:07:44 am »
Thanks Jenn,

I guess I'll just have to hassle my supplier then and ask why they are still selling uit of date maps. My map is BC-1511-03L.

Thanks

shane

Offline Shane

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 02:24:26 pm »
After contacting my supplier, within 2 days I recieved new 2008 maps:)

Thanks folks

Offline JMilyko

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 02:49:20 pm »
After contacting my supplier, within 2 days I recieved new 2008 maps:)

Great! I'm glad it worked out.

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
www.adventurecycling.org