Author Topic: Anyone ridden the John Wayne Pioneer Trail in WA?  (Read 2947 times)

Offline Saskawhat

Re: Anyone ridden the John Wayne Pioneer Trail in WA?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 01:32:52 am »
I'm looking for a connecting route from the west end of the Trail of the Coeur D'Alenes in Plummer, ID to the far east end of the John Wayne trail. Tried to Google Map something out but was hoping there was a more direct route from point A to point B than what I was able to piece together. Any suggestions?

Offline PeteJack

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 01:09:13 pm »
You should ride the Yakima river canyon road from Ellenburg to Yakima awesome scenery a little hilly but well worth it
+1
Other posters know a lot more about the JWT than me but I can tell you that Ellensburg to Yakima via the Yakima Gorge is superb. Be aware there is no drinking water in the Gorge.

Offline Wirelizard

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 03:27:49 am »
Just to revive this old thread of mine, my brother and I are still batting around ideas for next summer's adventure, and once I realized you could take bikes onto the Victoria Clipper passenger ferry between Victoria and Seattle for an extra $20 USD/bike, the idea of skipping the entire Anacortes-Seattle section and basically starting in downtown Seattle became a thing.

As did turning it into a loop tour starting with the Clipper and ending with the [urlhttps://www.cohoferry.com/]Coho ferry back to Victoria[/url] from Port Angeles - with the option of using Amtrak back to Vancouver (BC, not WA...) to shorten the whole thing.

Link to a Google Maps overview of this route - basically it's Seattle-Ellensburg-Yakima-Columbia River Gorge-Portland-Centralia-Tacoma-Bremerton-Port Angeles, 980km nominally. Two-and-a-half to three weeks, including a couple of days drinking beer in Portland.

Ending in Portland and letting Amtrak do most of the work of getting us home takes the bike portion down to 548km nominal.

Offline Pilotpeat

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 03:25:55 pm »
That sounds like a fun trip!

I live in Yakima and have ridden most of the roads on your proposed route from Cle Elum to Wapato as well as most of the John Wayne Trail from the west end to Cle Elum.

If you need any place to camp or stay in Yakima let me know.  I live off a bike path about 6 miles west of your route as it passes through.